Mastic Liqueur ( mastika, masticha, mastikha, mastiha)

    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2003
      I came across reference to the use of mastic gum (from Pistacia
      lentiscus)as a flavoring in Greece (Masticha ouzo, Chios Masticha
      liqueur, Mastic liqueur of Kalamata), and Bulgaria (Mastika). The
      liquorice-flavored resin is found only on the Greek island of Chios
      and is used in the Middle East as a spice, a chewing gum and having
      anti-bacterial properties, as a medicine for stomach ailments. Often
      Chios mastic gum is part of the botanicals for ouzo, or it can be
      crushed and added to the distillate later.
      I have not come across any recipes, but a reference mentions Mastic
      Liqueur as being a Greek brandy based liqueur that is flavored with
      mastic. There is a non-alcoholic Greek Mastic Syrup
      (ipovrichio/hypovrychio) which can be used as a basis of formulating
      a mastic liqueur:
      Ipovrichio
      4 cups water
      2 cups sugar
      juice 1/2 lemon
      1 beaten egg white (used to clarify the boiling syrup)
      21/2 tsp. Chios mastic gum
      The mastic gum is crushed with 1/2 tsp sugar and added to the
      lukewarm syrup. We can modify this for my interpretation of a Mastic
      Liqueur and Mastic Ouzo using a raw spirit or brandy and ouzo/raki:

      Mastic Liqueur
      3 cups alcohol (40%bv)
      1 cup water
      1-11/2 cups sugar
      juice 1/2 lemon
      21/2 tsp crushed Chios mastic gum

      Mastic Ouzo/Raki
      750 ml ouzo/raki (or flavor vodka with 1 tbsp whole aniseed)
      2 tsp Chios mastic gum
      1-2 tsp sugar
      Crush mastic gum with sugar and add to alcohol

      Wal
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
        For those who like a liqueur that tastes somewhat like pleasant
        violin varnish, some additional information on mastic gum/resin. I
        did not find that it tasted like licorice as suggested by one
        reference.

        Chios mastic gum is insoluble in water but partly soluble in alcohol.
        An essential oil is produced by steam distillation of the actual
        resin or occasionally directly from the leaves and branches. .
        Suspending a bag with the mastic resin in the still boiler would
        achieve a similar effect. The essential oil yield appears to be about
        2%.
        Sometimes the berries are used for making sweets or liqueurs (French
        reference).
        Mastic has a melting point of 105 to 120C which explains how it is
        used in the recipe below for the Masticha (Mastic Fondant) where the
        powdered gum is added to the thick hot sugar syrup, which is then
        beaten until it turns white.
        To make a mastic essence for use as a flavoring, place powdered
        mastic gum in pure alcohol, stirring daily until it no longer sticks
        to the bottom which may take several weeks.
        For medicinal purposes (ulcers) a daily dose of 1 gram (1/2tsp) is
        recommended.
        Wal