RE: [Distillers] Still Spirits 25l Reflux Still.

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
      Jonathon,

      I found my 20L Still Spirits Reflux still to be a great introductory
      still. Reasonably easy to use, with good results. I was routinely getting
      75% purity out of it (off 12% wash), when running quite a low amount of
      cooling water (just a dribble/small flow - often inc/dec so to keep it
      slightly warm to the touch). When packing below the marble with scrubbers,
      this increased to 80%+, with 85% possible if I really increased the amount
      of cooling water (to induce more reflux). I've since seen the light re
      how much better (cleaner, less flavours) higher % alcohols are, but thats
      just a personal preference - the output from the SS Reflux still is still
      more than satisfactory, particulary if using as a basis for the likes of
      whisky (via oak chips or essences).

      Tony
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller