helpful suggestions, please?

  • D. Cunningham
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2000
      Greetings,

      As some of you may know, I don't post that often. When I do post I usually
      ask questions. This time is not any different.

      A friend and myself have built a pot still for 10 gal.(US) runs. This still
      was built with items that were scrapped together to form a working still.

      Now, my issue is this, I would like to make a small personal still. I
      usually brew 2 1/2 gal.(US) of a Mead/Cider combo. Of that, I get about 2
      gal. (US) of 14% alc. product.

      I would like to know if anyone has an idea (or three) on what the size of
      the boiler should be, condenser size, etc. . . I would like to make a pot
      still with a modified condenser like the condensing jacket that is used in
      the Small Still Engineering stills.

      Basically:

      - boiler

      - piping (to connect the boiler to the condensing jacket)

      - 45 deg. elbow (to connect the piping coming from the boiler to the
      condensing jacket)

      - The condensing jacket

      - Tube (used to collect the distilled product.

      I would like any recommended sizes for the boiler, piping, condenser jacket,
      or anything else that someone would think that would make a good personal
      still.

      I might also state that the still would need to fit on my stove (an electric
      one at that) to be used as the heat source. Any recommendations would be
      greatly appreciated.

      Thank you in advance.

      D.C. from the US