Still Spirits 25l Reflux Still.

  • Jonathon Price
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
      This is my fist post and I have a few question about the Still Spirits 25l
      Reflux Still.

      First I am keen to hear what other people think about these still. I know
      that they aren�t greet reflux still but at this time I don�t have the time
      to build a still.

      Second what short of performance should one expect using this still ie what
      % alcohol and what volume when using turbo yeast and turbo extra yeast.

      Thirdly dose anyone have tips on making these still work better if
      possibly, I read somewhere that putting a pot scrubber into there reflux
      camber increases % is this true.

      TIA

      Jonathon

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
        Jonathon,

        I found my 20L Still Spirits Reflux still to be a great introductory
        still. Reasonably easy to use, with good results. I was routinely getting
        75% purity out of it (off 12% wash), when running quite a low amount of
        cooling water (just a dribble/small flow - often inc/dec so to keep it
        slightly warm to the touch). When packing below the marble with scrubbers,
        this increased to 80%+, with 85% possible if I really increased the amount
        of cooling water (to induce more reflux). I've since seen the light re
        how much better (cleaner, less flavours) higher % alcohols are, but thats
        just a personal preference - the output from the SS Reflux still is still
        more than satisfactory, particulary if using as a basis for the likes of
        whisky (via oak chips or essences).

        Tony
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller