Doublers\thumpers

  • Robert Mitchell
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000

      I been following the posts about Doublers. With a 10 gal boiler, how large should the doubler? Would a quart mason jar do? A mason jar is meant for use in a canner  and so it should be able to take the heat.

      For regular distilling, you toss the first 200 mils or so to get rid of the methonol. Do you do the same when using a doubler? Will the doubler get rid of fusels and the other bad stuff so you can dispense with charcoal treatments ?"

      Do You Yahoo!?
    • Ted Palmer
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
        It can be as large as you want it to be, but using glass gives me the willies.
        A good rule of thumb is make the thumper twice the size of the amont of distillate in a single run. ie: one run = 1 liter of spirits then make the thumper 2 liters.

        Yes, treat the run as you would any other time.

        Ted Palmer
        tpalmer@...