Yeast and nutrients

  • Robert Mitchell
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2000

      I've been a brewer for about 25 years. I always take about a pint of the wort/wash and once ithas cooled to about 20 dgrees C, i add the dried yeast. The starter pint always cools much faster than the main body of the wort/wash and so the stater is fermenting very well when it is pitched into the primary fermenter.Using that experience and with using only grain( craked corn, wheat, rye and malted barley), my last three washes have averaged 14 % ethanol using a sherry type yeast which is supposed to be good to 18%.

      Perhaps it is different if you are using just a sugar wash?

      Do You Yahoo!?