Re: [Distillers] Glossery of terms

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2000
      I think we should clairfy some terms here.

      Stillage:
      the mixture of non-fermentable (or non-fermented) solids and water that
      is left after removal of ethanol through distillation.

      Wash:
      A distillers beer.

      Backset:
      Recycled thin stillage. It may be added to the cooker(for mash) or to
      the fermenter and serves as a source of nutrient(cooked yeast cells). This
      can be a major source of bacterial contamination!

      Yeast recycle or re-pitching:
      Recovering yeast from fermented wash to use in the next fermentation.

      Pitch:
      To innoculate wash with yeast.

      Looks like the beginings of a glossary here, I'll keep working on more terms
      if others will help out.
      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...