Re: [Distillers] RE: Sloppin' Back

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
      > >You don't slop back what you run, just your leftover
      > >mash.  We use grain and when we strain our mash
      we
      > >slop back into a new batch of mash all of the grain
      > >that was left in the strainer :)
      >
      > would this be successful
      because it
      > 1) boosts the yeast count heaps

      basicly this is the same as re-pitching your yeast, which is the best method to ensure an adequate yeast count.

      > 2) act as a source of nutrients,

      Not really, it is still best to add nutrient like ammonia.

      > 3) be a bit of a pH buffer ?

      Yes, the pH should drop a few 10ths

      > How does it differ from a
      sour-mash ?

      Sour mash is made by allowing lacto baccilus bacteria to lower the pH of the mash before or during ferment.

      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...