Wort

  • Tom Noftsger
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
      Hi all,
      I am having trouble getting the %a up to anything worth
      distilling. I have sanitized and thoughly rinsed everthing, boiled
      the water (to remove cholorine), hydrated the yeast, keep the
      tempature at a steady 22.2°C and added plenty of nutrients. Still
      after 5 weeks of very slow activity and finally a cease in activity
      the wort is only 5.7% alcohol. The only thing I can think of is that
      there was not enough dissolved oxygen in the wort to allow for enough
      yeast reproduction. Does that make sense? I have been reading alot
      of info on yeast propagation and pitching, both on this site and some
      beer brewing sites. I think I may have overloaded the info center
      and now I am just getting confused. Should I aerate the wort in the
      beginning? Should I make starter batches in increase yeast
      quantities? Any ideas?
      Thanks Tom
    • Pete Sayers
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
        Tom you dont say what yeasts you are using.In NZ we are using the English
        Turbo yeasts ( Turbo & Turbo Extra)These are capable of processing up to 8kg
        of sugar in a 25 litre wash, giving a a/v content of up to 19-21%. ie we can
        distill off up to 6.25 litres of alcohol @ 70-75% giving up to 10.5 litres @
        40% of good drinking alcohol. Perhaps you should try a good Champagne yeast
        regards Pete from Brewers Barn