Re: [Distillers] copper

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2000
      The advantage that copper has is:
      1. its high conductivity for heat.
      2. low cost.
      3. easy to work with.

      But you are right about SS, it is the way to go if you can.
      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
        does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?
      • henry sangret
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
          where do you live ?

          does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

        • jimbob1963
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
            Depends on where you are. Find a commercial duct shop. If you are in Texas or Kansas I can help you out.
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wandering_forrest" wrote:

            > does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

          • donna ricketts
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
              Tenn. not shure company but they mine it I was on this site and they had 6to8 different thickness and comes up to 5 x 10 foot say 12gage about 375.00 us see the boys in the woods had some money in those overalls, but really google around you will find what your looking for and I'll see if I can't find that address myself.....I'll get back with some info
            • Chad Baker
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
                Same question, Fort Worth Texas.

                Sent from my iPhone

                where do you live ?

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
                  There is a online company out of chicago I deal with alot, and they are called McMaster Carr and they ship very fast!

                  --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "wandering_forrest" wrote:

                  > does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

                • John S. Thomas
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
                    Los Angeles has many sheet metal supply stores.  Look up sheet copper on the web, put your state or town in the search.  Bring your check book!

                    Sent from my iPad

                    John S. Thomas
                    951 676 2337

                    On Jan 23, 2013, at 1:47 PM, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

                    where do you live ?

                    does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
                      I haven't bought sheet copper from them, but I use McMaster Carr for copper fittings and stainless pipe parts. They are super to deal with and have an incredible inventory.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 24, 2013
                        Love those people ! Its amazing what they have and in stock that doesnt show up on theit online catalogue!  I bought the quick connect stainless sanitary fittings for connecting my stillheads for the pot and reflux  stills from them and all my stainless sheet and tubing.

                        I haven't bought sheet copper from them, but I use McMaster Carr for copper fittings and stainless pipe parts. They are super to deal with and have an incredible inventory.

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret wrote:

                        > There is a online company out of chicago I deal with alot, and they are called McMaster Carr and they ship very fast!
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • roger shattuck
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013

                          does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

                        • Frank Narciso
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                            Call larger plumbing supply places, mechanical and/or plumbing contractors. Or roofing gutter companies. They use the stuff. It is expensive. In California for a 3x8 sheet it was about $250.

                            Sent from my iPad

                            does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

                          • forrest sutton
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013
                              I'm in NC

                              does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

                            • Ed Barcik
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013

                                Try a roofing supply company, they use it for flashing and other things and it comes in decent size sheets and different thickness

                                http://basiccopper.com/copper-sheet--rolls.html

                              • chris
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
                                  The use of copper reduces the sulfides in your product is what I,ve heard and read. As far as expense, I called a scrap outfit that had some freight damaged 2" copper tube and they wanted $10 a foot.

                                  Just my 2 cents worth
                                  Chris

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Palmer" wrote:

                                  > The advantage that copper has is:
                                  > 1. its high conductivity for heat.
                                  > 2. low cost.
                                  > 3. easy to work with.
                                  >
                                  > But you are right about SS, it is the way to go if you can.
                                  > Ted Palmer
                                  > tpalmer@...

                                • Angelis
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
                                    Thanks Chris

                                    Michael

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 4, 2013
                                      yes it does, I cut up some copper tubing and mixed them into my glass packing materials in my reflux still and it works great!