Re: [Distillers] New equipment

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 53 , May 5, 2003
      Johan wrote:
      Subject: SV: [Distillers] New equipment

      What about HETP? I understand that it is low, but have you measured it? (Curious about the difference compared to heli-pak and pro-pak)
      Helipak and propak would probably perform something compared to this, at least helipak except that it floods at 10 L/h. But the price is about 20 times as much.
      How do you set about 'measuring' what is a theoretical value?  All one can do practically is measure the degeree of separation over a given length and then apply the appropriate equations to deduce that value.  We found that to be a rather abstruse exercise, when all we were interested in was a measure between what went into the 'black box' and what came out.  I've no idea how the mesh measures up against helipak or propak, but I understand that you have one of those on order.  I'd be very interested in learning what you find when you test it.  Remember too that the efficiency of separation does not rely solely on the packing.  That helps, but it is far from the whole answer.

      I absolutely want some structured packing. I can’t see any reason to use scrubbers now, or any other packing since the price great.
      This is the best contribution to the home distilling hobby in many years!
      Thank you very much for that appreciation.  At the end of the day, we're no different to anyone else in this hobby ... we just want to find out better ways of doing things.  Sometimes this takes a bit of investment, as you well know from your order for that packing.  Hopefully that investment can be recovered, at least in part.  If it helps others, then that is where the satisfaction lies.

      I wish I didn’t spend all my money on the vacation, time to sell something so I can order as fast as possible!
      Nah .... money spent on a great vacation is money well spent.  Just a question of priorities.  I've always wanted to try paragliding.  24 years in an airforce,  having experienced flight at over 1000mph, and I've never tried 'true' flying!  I envy you!!

      All the best,
      Mike N

    • peter_vcb
      Message 53 of 53 , May 15, 2003
        i posted below about the pipe in pipes not working. this was when
        setup for a thumper though rather than a packed column. maybe they
        are onto something. what if you have a packed narrow pipe with a
        closed pipe sitting on top of it (like a upside down glass). this
        pipe is packed to and has room at the top. then this pipe is inside
        another packed pipe. so vapour goes up then down and then up again. i
        will sketch it if you cant understand what i mean. if you have a
        condenser on top you will have a temp variation in the initial thin
        pipe. say 90 at the bottom and 85 at the top. now what will happen
        when the vapour at 85 goes back down the outer pipe and is heated by
        the lower part of the narrow pipe still at 90C? i remember asking
        what happens when vapour goes DOWN a packed column, but cant remember
        the answer

        Peter

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...>