Re: drill motor pump

  • brain_solenoid
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2003
      > Sounds to me it should work just fine, but if you drilled and
      > installed a tap fitting near the bottom of your pot, you could use
      > gravity :-) I'm looking for a small pump myself to use in a
      > continuose filter rig and was going to check out pumps at my local
      > garden shop, the ones they use for ponds etc.

      What some folks out here are doing is using a cornelius keg to drive
      the distillate through the filter under pressure. A "corny" keg (the
      Brewer's nickname for them) is the 5 U.S. gallon soda kegs used for
      syrups. They make these in 3 U.S. gallon as well, which is what is
      used by some distillers.
      The distillate is loaded in the keg and CO2 is used to drive the
      liquor though the charcoal filter. I've seen this used on the "Z
      Filter", but the filter leaked (typical places). This method would
      work great with some of the PVC filter designs.
      If you homebrew beer, and have this type of kegging system, give it a
      try. A little modifying and a person could conceivably come up with
      a method that uses compressed air in a sealed cylinder of sorts to
      drive the product. Something as innocuous as a bicycle tire pump
      could be used to pressurize the system.

      Regards,
      BS
    • zuggetsr
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2003
        I use my $6 drill motor pump to circulate water through my condensor
        coil in my valved reflux still. Head height is about 8 ft and I get
        plenty of flow. Instead of using a drill, I have attached the pump
        to and old 1/3 HP blower motor and it works great. Nice and quiet
        too. Because I run my still in my detached garage where I don;t have
        water, I use for a chiller is my old window air conditioner. I built
        a small tank around the evaporator fins and I can send 40F water into
        my condensor coil. It works great with my 2KW still.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "highabv" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
        > At the Harbor Freight tool store, I bought a "drill pump" - a small
        > pump that uses a small drill motor as a power source. Anybody ever
        > use one of these pumps to transfer from boiler to fermenter, or
        from
        > fermenter to still? I'm not sure how it would handle low wines
        > either.
      • dasha smith
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2003
          Hi all
          Hearing a lo about pumps
          Why not use marine bilge pump? from around $9 us

          Quentin