Re: drill motor pump

  • highabv
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 12:59 PM
      I have and use two "mag" pumps - impellers are in a sealed housing,
      and magnetically coupled to the electric motor. Small mag pumps do
      not have a separate "in" port - the entire pump must be immersed into
      the liquid, including a portion of the electrical cord. NOTE: Mag
      pumps will NOT lift liquid to the pump - not self priming.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, tipringwaterpipe <ed_bathie@y...>
      wrote:
      > Sounds to me it should work just fine, but if you drilled and
      installed a tap fitting near the bottom of your pot, you could use
      gravity :-) I'm looking for a small pump myself to use in a
      continuose filter rig and was going to check out pumps at my local
      garden shop, the ones they use for ponds etc.
    • rodmacd2000
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 2:43 PM
        When evaluating pumps for wash transfer etc please don't overlook the
        large number of such devices offered for sale by hydroponics
        suppliers. These pumps are designed for submersible operation and are
        available at reasonable price with a wide range of capacity.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "highabv" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
        > At the Harbor Freight tool store, I bought a "drill pump" - a small
        > pump that uses a small drill motor as a power source. Anybody ever
        > use one of these pumps to transfer from boiler to fermenter, or
        from
        > fermenter to still? I'm not sure how it would handle low wines
        > either.
      • brain_solenoid
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 5:53 PM
          > Sounds to me it should work just fine, but if you drilled and
          > installed a tap fitting near the bottom of your pot, you could use
          > gravity :-) I'm looking for a small pump myself to use in a
          > continuose filter rig and was going to check out pumps at my local
          > garden shop, the ones they use for ponds etc.

          What some folks out here are doing is using a cornelius keg to drive
          the distillate through the filter under pressure. A "corny" keg (the
          Brewer's nickname for them) is the 5 U.S. gallon soda kegs used for
          syrups. They make these in 3 U.S. gallon as well, which is what is
          used by some distillers.
          The distillate is loaded in the keg and CO2 is used to drive the
          liquor though the charcoal filter. I've seen this used on the "Z
          Filter", but the filter leaked (typical places). This method would
          work great with some of the PVC filter designs.
          If you homebrew beer, and have this type of kegging system, give it a
          try. A little modifying and a person could conceivably come up with
          a method that uses compressed air in a sealed cylinder of sorts to
          drive the product. Something as innocuous as a bicycle tire pump
          could be used to pressurize the system.

          Regards,
          BS
        • zuggetsr
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2 6:41 PM
            I use my $6 drill motor pump to circulate water through my condensor
            coil in my valved reflux still. Head height is about 8 ft and I get
            plenty of flow. Instead of using a drill, I have attached the pump
            to and old 1/3 HP blower motor and it works great. Nice and quiet
            too. Because I run my still in my detached garage where I don;t have
            water, I use for a chiller is my old window air conditioner. I built
            a small tank around the evaporator fins and I can send 40F water into
            my condensor coil. It works great with my 2KW still.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "highabv" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
            > At the Harbor Freight tool store, I bought a "drill pump" - a small
            > pump that uses a small drill motor as a power source. Anybody ever
            > use one of these pumps to transfer from boiler to fermenter, or
            from
            > fermenter to still? I'm not sure how it would handle low wines
            > either.
          • dasha smith
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3 4:53 PM
              Hi all
              Hearing a lo about pumps
              Why not use marine bilge pump? from around $9 us

              Quentin