drill motor pump

  • highabv
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2003
      At the Harbor Freight tool store, I bought a "drill pump" - a small
      pump that uses a small drill motor as a power source. Anybody ever
      use one of these pumps to transfer from boiler to fermenter, or from
      fermenter to still? I'm not sure how it would handle low wines
      either.
    • tipringwaterpipe
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2003
        Sounds to me it should work just fine, but if you drilled and installed a tap fitting near the bottom of your pot, you could use gravity :-) I'm looking for a small pump myself to use in a continuose filter rig and was going to check out pumps at my local garden shop, the ones they use for ponds etc.

        Down - the - Hatch

        Tip

        highabv <markgofast@...> wrote:
        At the Harbor Freight tool store, I bought a "drill pump" - a small
        pump that uses a small drill motor as a power source.  Anybody ever
        use one of these pumps to transfer from boiler to fermenter, or from
        fermenter to still?  I'm not sure how it would handle low wines
        either.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • highabv
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2003
          I have and use two "mag" pumps - impellers are in a sealed housing,
          and magnetically coupled to the electric motor. Small mag pumps do
          not have a separate "in" port - the entire pump must be immersed into
          the liquid, including a portion of the electrical cord. NOTE: Mag
          pumps will NOT lift liquid to the pump - not self priming.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, tipringwaterpipe <ed_bathie@y...>
          wrote:
          > Sounds to me it should work just fine, but if you drilled and
          installed a tap fitting near the bottom of your pot, you could use
          gravity :-) I'm looking for a small pump myself to use in a
          continuose filter rig and was going to check out pumps at my local
          garden shop, the ones they use for ponds etc.
        • rodmacd2000
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2003
            When evaluating pumps for wash transfer etc please don't overlook the
            large number of such devices offered for sale by hydroponics
            suppliers. These pumps are designed for submersible operation and are
            available at reasonable price with a wide range of capacity.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "highabv" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
            > At the Harbor Freight tool store, I bought a "drill pump" - a small
            > pump that uses a small drill motor as a power source. Anybody ever
            > use one of these pumps to transfer from boiler to fermenter, or
            from
            > fermenter to still? I'm not sure how it would handle low wines
            > either.
          • brain_solenoid
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2003
              > Sounds to me it should work just fine, but if you drilled and
              > installed a tap fitting near the bottom of your pot, you could use
              > gravity :-) I'm looking for a small pump myself to use in a
              > continuose filter rig and was going to check out pumps at my local
              > garden shop, the ones they use for ponds etc.

              What some folks out here are doing is using a cornelius keg to drive
              the distillate through the filter under pressure. A "corny" keg (the
              Brewer's nickname for them) is the 5 U.S. gallon soda kegs used for
              syrups. They make these in 3 U.S. gallon as well, which is what is
              used by some distillers.
              The distillate is loaded in the keg and CO2 is used to drive the
              liquor though the charcoal filter. I've seen this used on the "Z
              Filter", but the filter leaked (typical places). This method would
              work great with some of the PVC filter designs.
              If you homebrew beer, and have this type of kegging system, give it a
              try. A little modifying and a person could conceivably come up with
              a method that uses compressed air in a sealed cylinder of sorts to
              drive the product. Something as innocuous as a bicycle tire pump
              could be used to pressurize the system.

              Regards,
              BS
            • zuggetsr
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2003
                I use my $6 drill motor pump to circulate water through my condensor
                coil in my valved reflux still. Head height is about 8 ft and I get
                plenty of flow. Instead of using a drill, I have attached the pump
                to and old 1/3 HP blower motor and it works great. Nice and quiet
                too. Because I run my still in my detached garage where I don;t have
                water, I use for a chiller is my old window air conditioner. I built
                a small tank around the evaporator fins and I can send 40F water into
                my condensor coil. It works great with my 2KW still.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "highabv" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
                > At the Harbor Freight tool store, I bought a "drill pump" - a small
                > pump that uses a small drill motor as a power source. Anybody ever
                > use one of these pumps to transfer from boiler to fermenter, or
                from
                > fermenter to still? I'm not sure how it would handle low wines
                > either.
              • dasha smith
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2003
                  Hi all
                  Hearing a lo about pumps
                  Why not use marine bilge pump? from around $9 us

                  Quentin