Re: valved reflux head

  • rodmacd2000
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2003
      You bet it's left open. Otherwise the whole still is under pressure
      with potential disasterous consequences.

      Assuming the condenser is sized correctly and has sufficient cooling
      water running then *all* vapour will be condensed to liquid before it
      can escape.

      In fact, if you have a chance to observe a properly designed and
      operated still with a glass housing for a copper condensing coil, you
      will see that liquid condensate is only clearly visible on the bottom
      1/3 of the coil.

      I have been tempted (not tried yet) to put a match to the open top of
      the condenser housing of my own still to verify that no vapour is
      escaping!

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lamarpye2003" <lamarpye@h...>
      wrote:
      > I'm interested to know if the valved reflux head has a cap on the
      top
      > to cover the copper condensing coil or is it left open? From the
      > design pictures ive seen it looks like its left open, but wouldnt
      > some of the alcohol vapors escape?
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2003

        >>I have been tempted (not tried yet) to put a match to the open top of
        the condenser housing of my own still to verify that no vapour is
        escaping!<<

        Let us know if you and the house survive? That way we will know whether to nominate you for a Darwin Award! http://www.darwinawards.com

        “”All meant in jestJ””

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2003
          rodmacd2000 wrote:
          Subject: [Distillers] Re: valved reflux head

          I have been tempted (not tried yet) to put a match to the open top of the condenser housing of my own still to verify that no vapour is escaping!
          =============================
          For heaven's sake do NOT do that!!!!!!
          Invite us round first to watch .........................

          Mike N   :-)

        • Harley Daschund
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2003
            I could sell several tickets to that...'event'...:>)

            >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
            >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: valved reflux head
            >Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 19:43:43 +1200
            >
            >rodmacd2000 wrote:
            >Subject: [Distillers] Re: valved reflux head
            >
            >I have been tempted (not tried yet) to put a match to the open top of the
            >condenser housing of my own still to verify that no vapour is escaping!
            >=============================
            >For heaven's sake do NOT do that!!!!!!
            >Invite us round first to watch .........................
            >
            >Mike N :-)

          • Brandon Lee
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2003
              no==usually the vapor stops rising when the water is turned on--we use a cap on ours just to conceal the top and have a more finished look
              have fun
              your brother in the spirits
              Blueflame456

              lamarpye2003 <lamarpye@...> wrote:
              I'm interested to know if the valved reflux head has a cap on the top
              to cover the copper condensing coil or is it left open? From the
              design pictures ive seen it looks like its left open, but wouldnt
              some of the alcohol vapors escape?

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Brandon Lee