valved reflux head

  • lamarpye2003
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 8:54 PM
      I'm interested to know if the valved reflux head has a cap on the top
      to cover the copper condensing coil or is it left open? From the
      design pictures ive seen it looks like its left open, but wouldnt
      some of the alcohol vapors escape?
    • rodmacd2000
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 9:48 PM
        You bet it's left open. Otherwise the whole still is under pressure
        with potential disasterous consequences.

        Assuming the condenser is sized correctly and has sufficient cooling
        water running then *all* vapour will be condensed to liquid before it
        can escape.

        In fact, if you have a chance to observe a properly designed and
        operated still with a glass housing for a copper condensing coil, you
        will see that liquid condensate is only clearly visible on the bottom
        1/3 of the coil.

        I have been tempted (not tried yet) to put a match to the open top of
        the condenser housing of my own still to verify that no vapour is
        escaping!

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lamarpye2003" <lamarpye@h...>
        wrote:
        > I'm interested to know if the valved reflux head has a cap on the
        top
        > to cover the copper condensing coil or is it left open? From the
        > design pictures ive seen it looks like its left open, but wouldnt
        > some of the alcohol vapors escape?
      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 11:40 PM

          >>I have been tempted (not tried yet) to put a match to the open top of
          the condenser housing of my own still to verify that no vapour is
          escaping!<<

          Let us know if you and the house survive? That way we will know whether to nominate you for a Darwin Award! http://www.darwinawards.com

          “”All meant in jestJ””

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2 12:43 AM
            rodmacd2000 wrote:
            Subject: [Distillers] Re: valved reflux head

            I have been tempted (not tried yet) to put a match to the open top of the condenser housing of my own still to verify that no vapour is escaping!
            =============================
            For heaven's sake do NOT do that!!!!!!
            Invite us round first to watch .........................

            Mike N   :-)

          • Harley Daschund
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2 1:50 AM
              I could sell several tickets to that...'event'...:>)

              >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
              >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: valved reflux head
              >Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 19:43:43 +1200
              >
              >rodmacd2000 wrote:
              >Subject: [Distillers] Re: valved reflux head
              >
              >I have been tempted (not tried yet) to put a match to the open top of the
              >condenser housing of my own still to verify that no vapour is escaping!
              >=============================
              >For heaven's sake do NOT do that!!!!!!
              >Invite us round first to watch .........................
              >
              >Mike N :-)

            • Brandon Lee
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2 3:55 AM
                no==usually the vapor stops rising when the water is turned on--we use a cap on ours just to conceal the top and have a more finished look
                have fun
                your brother in the spirits
                Blueflame456

                lamarpye2003 <lamarpye@...> wrote:
                I'm interested to know if the valved reflux head has a cap on the top
                to cover the copper condensing coil or is it left open? From the
                design pictures ive seen it looks like its left open, but wouldnt
                some of the alcohol vapors escape?

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Brandon Lee