Re: [Distillers] Hey, Mike..........electrical element question

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      brain_solenoid wrote:
      Subject: [Distillers] Hey, Mike..........electrical element question

      when you apply 110v to a 220v/240v water heater element, it cuts the power into a quarter of the rated wattage of the element.
      I understand V=IR, and Watts = Volts x Amps ... but I don't understand how the power is quartered.
      Can you explain why the power is quartered?
      Hokay.  Let's take a 1500W 240V rated element as an example.
      V = IR so I = V/R
      Substitute for I in W = VI and we get W = V2/R
      so R = V2 / W
      Resistance of the 1500W element is therefore 240 x 240 / 1500 = 38.4 ohms

      Now halve the voltage to 120V.
      W = 120 x 120 / 38.4 = 375 watts, which is a quarter of 1500W

      In general, the relationship W = V2/R shows that the wattage varies with the square of the voltage, the resistance remaining constant (leaving aside considerations of resistance varying with temperature, which it does ... keep it simple!)

      Gottit?
      Mike N

    • brain_solenoid
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2003
        > Gottit?
        > Mike N

        Clear as a middle cut on a sunny day! Thanks a bunch!

        Regards,
        BS