Re: Brandons plate's

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1 3:33 AM
      if you went with a wide column you could shove scrubbers in between
      the plates. they would be nice and evenly packed too.

      Peter
    • Brandon Lee
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1 6:16 AM
        this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue-- if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanks
        your brother in the spirits
        Blueflame456

        "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:
        > instead of scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise the first batch came out at about 92%

        Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
        Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
        Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
        How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
        Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
        How did you space them apart ?
        Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
        What would you do differently next time ?
        Any chance of a photo ?

        Tony

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • CornFed (Randy)
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1 2:18 PM
          all that would need to be done is take a piece of stainless
          steel 'all thread', nuts and washers. A washer and nut on each side
          of the plate for spacing. The Plate could be a piece of flat copper
          or a perforated drain hair stopper found on bathroom sinks. Drill a
          hole in the center of each plate the size of the rod.

          once the assembly is put together, you just would have to pull the
          whole thing out of the top as a unit for cleaning and inspection. The
          bottom plate would rest against either the reducer, or a bolt or
          rivet installed on the bottom of the column.

          To unsure that all of the plates will fit down the hole before
          assembly on the all thread rod, simply bolt all them together
          touching, mark the diameter for the inside of your column, make your
          cut and then do whatever custom grinding is necessary to fine tune
          the fit.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee <blueflame456@y...>
          wrote:
          > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue--
          if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is
          designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the
          exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be
          easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanksyour brother
          in the spiritsBlueflame456

          > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:> instead of
          scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
          each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise
          the first batch came out at about 92%

          > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
          > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
          > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
          > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to
          the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
          > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
          > How did you space them apart ?
          > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
          > What would you do differently next time ?
          > Any chance of a photo ?
          >
          > Tony
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to distillers-
          unsubscribe@onelist.com

          Service.

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1 9:29 PM
             > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue-- if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be easily done by all who would want to try this

            I forgot where I got the file from on the net, but it had a whole collection of different things to do with column design etc.  Could post a copy on my site if anyone is interested (about 3Mb to download).  Some of the drawings attached below :

            Tony

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1 10:27 PM
              Nice idea. You could propably substitute the nut/washer combo
              inbetween the plates with a piece of copper tube that fits over the
              threaded rod (easier to tailor the distance between plates). Just
              have nut+washer at each end for disassembly & cleaning. Now would
              this be efficient with just plates or would it be beneficial to have
              a pot scrubber sandwiched between each two plates?

              Greetz, Riku

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy)" <cornfed15@h...>

            • Brandon Lee
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2 5:41 AM
                i have a total of 7 plates within the 48" column -- have completed another run just yesterday--once again 92%--15 gal of wash-turbo yeast-25 # sugar-25# corn--yields 1.625 gals at above %--
                Your brother in the spirits
                Blueflame456

                wrote:
                > all that would need to be done is take a piece of stainless
                > steel  'all thread', nuts and washers.  A washer and nut on each
                side
                > of the plate for spacing.  The Plate could be a piece of flat
                copper
                > or a perforated drain hair stopper found on bathroom sinks.   Drill
                > hole in the center of each plate the size of the rod.
                >
                > once the assembly is put together, you just would have to pull the
                > whole thing out of the top as a unit for cleaning and inspection.
                The
                > bottom plate would rest against either the reducer, or a bolt or
                > rivet installed  on the bottom of the column.
                >
                > To unsure that all of the plates will fit down the hole before
                > assembly on the all thread rod, simply bolt all them together
                > touching, mark the diameter for the inside of your column, make
                your
                > cut and then do whatever custom grinding is necessary to fine tune
                > the fit.
                >

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee <blueflame456@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue--
                > if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is
                > designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the
                > exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be
                > easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanksyour
                brother
                > in the spiritsBlueflame456
                > >
                > > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:> instead of
                > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise
                > the first batch came out at about 92%
                > >
                > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to
                > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                > > How did you space them apart ?
                > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                > > What would you do differently next time ?
                > > Any chance of a photo ?
                > >
                > > Tony
                > >
                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to  distillers-
                > unsubscribe@onelist.com

                > Service.

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • glasses97
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3 6:53 AM
                  In the Petroleum Processing Handbook (McGraw Hill) they refer to
                  plates used in Brandon's still as trays. Usually they have some type
                  of corrugations or other design to maintain a even distribution of
                  vapor and eliminate channeling. To see examples of these trays
                  search the web for "Flexitray" by Koch Engineering and "Ripple Tray"
                  by Stone & Webster.

                  Glasses97//

                  wrote:
> [...]
                  of
                  > > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                  > > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my
                  supsrise
                  > > the first batch came out at about 92%
                  > > >
                  > > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                  > > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                  > > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                  > > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit
                  > > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                  > > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                  > > > How did you space them apart ?
                  > > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                  > > > What would you do differently next time ?
                  > > > Any chance of a photo ?
                  > > >
                  > > > Tony
                  > > >
                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to distillers-

                  Service.

                • Brandon Lee
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4 3:33 PM
                    hello to all  n the group - just a note to say that i added one more disc and with the first 3 quarts of this wash i am proud to say that the results @60degrees is 94%--using Alex's EL design(thank u Alex)--the temp. with 1500 watts holds 173.9 solid till the first 1.5 gals are exhausted them the temp starts to rise rapidly--in the Practical Distillers handbook they have a drawing with details on a unit they describe as the column-- which from their drawings -will scale down to a nominal proportion for home distiller useage-- much like the bubble plate unit i have read about( and do correct me if i am wrong or not politically correct)--using the column principal without the goose( which i see as a condenser unit)-- any and all thoughts-advise-criticisms welcome--this is what makes this group function--
                    your brother in the Spirits
                    Blueflame456

                    wrote:
> [...]
                    of
                    > > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                    > > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my
                    supsrise
                    > > the first batch came out at about 92%
                    > > >
                    > > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                    > > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                    > > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                    > > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit
                    > > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                    > > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                    > > > How did you space them apart ?
                    > > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                    > > > What would you do differently next time ?
                    > > > Any chance of a photo ?
                    > > >
                    > > > Tony
                    > > >
                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to  distillers-

                    Service.

                    Do you Yahoo!?