Re: [Distillers] Brandons plate's

  • Harley Daschund
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2003
      FORGET the plates!!!!I am amazed 'Brok-a-Cob' has a girlfriend!!!!...:>)

      From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
      >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Brandons plate's
      >BOKAKOB wrote:
      >OK I remember when my girlfriend learned math, her teacher said that
      >========================
      >Remind me never to confuse facts with fancy again Alex. Clearly a waste of
      >time.
      >Mike N

    • peter_vcb
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2003
        if you went with a wide column you could shove scrubbers in between
        the plates. they would be nice and evenly packed too.

        Peter
      • Brandon Lee
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2003
          this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue-- if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanks
          your brother in the spirits
          Blueflame456

          "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:
          > instead of scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise the first batch came out at about 92%

          Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
          Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
          Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
          How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
          Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
          How did you space them apart ?
          Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
          What would you do differently next time ?
          Any chance of a photo ?

          Tony

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • CornFed (Randy)
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2003
            all that would need to be done is take a piece of stainless
            steel 'all thread', nuts and washers. A washer and nut on each side
            of the plate for spacing. The Plate could be a piece of flat copper
            or a perforated drain hair stopper found on bathroom sinks. Drill a
            hole in the center of each plate the size of the rod.

            once the assembly is put together, you just would have to pull the
            whole thing out of the top as a unit for cleaning and inspection. The
            bottom plate would rest against either the reducer, or a bolt or
            rivet installed on the bottom of the column.

            To unsure that all of the plates will fit down the hole before
            assembly on the all thread rod, simply bolt all them together
            touching, mark the diameter for the inside of your column, make your
            cut and then do whatever custom grinding is necessary to fine tune
            the fit.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee <blueflame456@y...>
            wrote:
            > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue--
            if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is
            designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the
            exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be
            easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanksyour brother
            in the spiritsBlueflame456

            > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:> instead of
            scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
            each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise
            the first batch came out at about 92%

            > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
            > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
            > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
            > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to
            the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
            > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
            > How did you space them apart ?
            > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
            > What would you do differently next time ?
            > Any chance of a photo ?
            >
            > Tony
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to distillers-
            unsubscribe@onelist.com

            Service.

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1, 2003
               > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue-- if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be easily done by all who would want to try this

              I forgot where I got the file from on the net, but it had a whole collection of different things to do with column design etc.  Could post a copy on my site if anyone is interested (about 3Mb to download).  Some of the drawings attached below :

              Tony

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 20 , May 1, 2003
                Nice idea. You could propably substitute the nut/washer combo
                inbetween the plates with a piece of copper tube that fits over the
                threaded rod (easier to tailor the distance between plates). Just
                have nut+washer at each end for disassembly & cleaning. Now would
                this be efficient with just plates or would it be beneficial to have
                a pot scrubber sandwiched between each two plates?

                Greetz, Riku

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy)" <cornfed15@h...>

              • Brandon Lee
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2, 2003
                  i have a total of 7 plates within the 48" column -- have completed another run just yesterday--once again 92%--15 gal of wash-turbo yeast-25 # sugar-25# corn--yields 1.625 gals at above %--
                  Your brother in the spirits
                  Blueflame456

                  wrote:
                  > all that would need to be done is take a piece of stainless
                  > steel  'all thread', nuts and washers.  A washer and nut on each
                  side
                  > of the plate for spacing.  The Plate could be a piece of flat
                  copper
                  > or a perforated drain hair stopper found on bathroom sinks.   Drill
                  > hole in the center of each plate the size of the rod.
                  >
                  > once the assembly is put together, you just would have to pull the
                  > whole thing out of the top as a unit for cleaning and inspection.
                  The
                  > bottom plate would rest against either the reducer, or a bolt or
                  > rivet installed  on the bottom of the column.
                  >
                  > To unsure that all of the plates will fit down the hole before
                  > assembly on the all thread rod, simply bolt all them together
                  > touching, mark the diameter for the inside of your column, make
                  your
                  > cut and then do whatever custom grinding is necessary to fine tune
                  > the fit.
                  >

                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee <blueflame456@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue--
                  > if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is
                  > designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the
                  > exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be
                  > easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanksyour
                  brother
                  > in the spiritsBlueflame456
                  > >
                  > > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:> instead of
                  > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                  > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise
                  > the first batch came out at about 92%
                  > >
                  > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                  > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                  > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                  > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to
                  > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                  > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                  > > How did you space them apart ?
                  > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                  > > What would you do differently next time ?
                  > > Any chance of a photo ?
                  > >
                  > > Tony
                  > >
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to  distillers-
                  > unsubscribe@onelist.com

                  > Service.

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • glasses97
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2003
                    In the Petroleum Processing Handbook (McGraw Hill) they refer to
                    plates used in Brandon's still as trays. Usually they have some type
                    of corrugations or other design to maintain a even distribution of
                    vapor and eliminate channeling. To see examples of these trays
                    search the web for "Flexitray" by Koch Engineering and "Ripple Tray"
                    by Stone & Webster.

                    Glasses97//

                    wrote:
> [...]
                    of
                    > > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                    > > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my
                    supsrise
                    > > the first batch came out at about 92%
                    > > >
                    > > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                    > > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                    > > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                    > > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit
                    > > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                    > > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                    > > > How did you space them apart ?
                    > > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                    > > > What would you do differently next time ?
                    > > > Any chance of a photo ?
                    > > >
                    > > > Tony
                    > > >
                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to distillers-

                    Service.

                  • Brandon Lee
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4, 2003
                      hello to all  n the group - just a note to say that i added one more disc and with the first 3 quarts of this wash i am proud to say that the results @60degrees is 94%--using Alex's EL design(thank u Alex)--the temp. with 1500 watts holds 173.9 solid till the first 1.5 gals are exhausted them the temp starts to rise rapidly--in the Practical Distillers handbook they have a drawing with details on a unit they describe as the column-- which from their drawings -will scale down to a nominal proportion for home distiller useage-- much like the bubble plate unit i have read about( and do correct me if i am wrong or not politically correct)--using the column principal without the goose( which i see as a condenser unit)-- any and all thoughts-advise-criticisms welcome--this is what makes this group function--
                      your brother in the Spirits
                      Blueflame456

                      wrote:
> [...]
                      of
                      > > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                      > > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my
                      supsrise
                      > > the first batch came out at about 92%
                      > > >
                      > > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                      > > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                      > > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                      > > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit
                      > > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                      > > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                      > > > How did you space them apart ?
                      > > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                      > > > What would you do differently next time ?
                      > > > Any chance of a photo ?
                      > > >
                      > > > Tony
                      > > >
                      > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to  distillers-

                      Service.

                      Do you Yahoo!?