Re: using sg to determine abv

  • rodmacd2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
      *rant*

      What in heaven's name do you mean "what is based on assumption"?
      Tony's clear reply to your original query should be printed out by us
      all and pasted on the wall next to our still for reference every time
      we forget some detail about how we determine the abv of a wash using
      a hydrometer.

      His reply is based on simple chemistry, physics and mathematics.

      Of course there are a couple of assumptions in what Tony wrote - ie
      the wash is pure sucrose and that concentrations of junk like
      higher alcohols are too small to have a meaningful influence on the
      calculations but as I recall he mentioned these.

      *rant over* - sorry about that