Re: uncut copper tube the same as rasching rings??

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
      I was able to control the system by adding or removing insulation to
      the bucket lid. Fully insulated with 350W heater 4 meters of tube was
      hot and the end was warm to touch (this is with air cooling). With
      uninsulated lid 3 meters was warm. It should work pretty well for
      sugar mashes but malt mashes are the problem. If you have enough room
      start with a straight pipe that has downwards bend at the middle.
      That way you can adjust reflux/output rate by moving the bend (use
      gloves though). You can make it a compact double spiral or something
      similar for the next run. Watch out for leaks though, I had to use
      flour paste to seal the lid to the bucket (real PITA to clean
      afterwards).

      Greetz, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...>

      <abbababbaccc@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > When I tried the "spiral still" I found that separation was not
      > very
      > > good. I even detected some propanol smell (tails) in the heads.
      The