RE: [Distillers] Looking for guidance

  • Frederick Christiansen
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2003
      Tony, Thanks for the insight, I will go with a taller column for my new
      still. I started with a 3" X 20" column with a small internal cooling coil
      and about 8" of marbles for packing and achieved 85%. Got hooked up with
      your site and decided to add another 20" to the column, increased the size
      of the internal cooling coil and used scrubbers as packing and got 90%. I
      thought that if I went with a new Nixon head valved reflux I may be able to
      achieve the 95% level. You mentioned the LP heat source as being somewhat
      big, it is nothing more than a LP burner for a 32L turkey fryer. All the
      manufacture stated is the 185,000 BTU's, not how they calculated it. It
      seemed like I could provide a large heat source for my present and future
      stills, and get a turkey fryer to boot. Thanks Derf

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2003
        > and got 90%. I thought that if I went with a new Nixon head
        > valved reflux I may be able to achieve the 95% level.

        The beauty of that design, or Alex's, is that they give you fantastic control over how much reflux you are returning back to the column. But remember that its the column height, type of packing, and the reflux which gives the purity. Those heads give you control over the purity, but if the column isnt tall enough, nor packed say with marbles instead of scrubbers, you wont get the purity. Even at 40" total height, you'll only just be on the edge of 95% (at very high reflux rates). Is it practical to get up to say 60" ?

        Tony
      • Frederick Christiansen
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
          Tony, I got a little chuckle while reading an item on the part of one of the
          members in which the column height was limited by the distance between the
          top of his stove and the ceiling. Well, my quest for a high purity, high
          producing still may have put me into a similar situation. I do my still work
          in my garage, floor to ceiling is 96". When I decided to become more
          involved in this hobby I wanted to increase capacity, hence the building of
          a new still, new much larger heat source, and a new 10 gallon stainless keg
          for the boiler. All of which is consuming portions of the my total 96". Your
          site made is very clear that column height is an important consideration to
          purity and I did so want to erect a stunningly tall column, I'm just not
          sure if I want to run my new still operation from a step ladder close to the
          ceiling of my garage. Like everything, I will have to come up with some kind
          of balance. Thanks.. Derf

          > and got 90%. I thought that if I went with a new Nixon head
          > valved reflux I may be able to achieve the 95% level.

          The beauty of that design, or Alex's, is that they give you fantastic
          control over how much reflux you are returning back to the column. But
          remember that its the column height, type of packing, and the reflux which
          gives the purity. Those heads give you control over the purity, but if the
          column isnt tall enough, nor packed say with marbles instead of scrubbers,
          you wont get the purity. Even at 40" total height, you'll only just be on
          the edge of 95% (at very high reflux rates). Is it practical to get up to
          say 60" ?

          Tony

          To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
          distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com