RE: [Distillers] Brandons plate's

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 28, 2003
      > instead of scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise the first batch came out at about 92%

      Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
      Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
      Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
      How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
      Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
      How did you space them apart ?
      Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
      What would you do differently next time ?
      Any chance of a photo ?

      Tony
    • Les
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 28, 2003
        Hi Tony
        I was very interested to read about Brandons reflux plates,I have
        been using them for about 9 months now and find them very effective.
        I think I may be using them slightly differently to Brandon,I water cool
        mine to control the temp of the column.This was originally an attempt to
        copy an industrial sieve tray column.
        Les

        > > instead of scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch
        holes each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise the
        first batch came out at about 92%

        > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
        > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
        > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
        > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to the
        column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
        > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
        > How did you space them apart ?
        > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
        > What would you do differently next time ?
        > Any chance of a photo ?
        >
        > Tony
        >

        > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
        distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

      • Brandon Lee
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 29, 2003
          Hello to all and thank u for the response-- the plates were the left over copper after making the EL unit that Alex designed-- my column is 2.5" the plates were band sawn to just fir the i.d. of the column-- i split some 2.5"copper so it would compress inside the existing column-- just took a .625 space out of the pipe with the milling machine--compressed then to close with hose clamps--then gently tap the pipe back to a round shape--(a sharp wack with a dead blow hammer and a  piece of oak across the slot does the trick-- insert into the bottom of the column and press towards the top-- add a plate and then press towards the top until u have all the plates inside-- the top plate is about 1.5"from the top of the column--this sleeve is small just to hold it in place-- the disc are cut from 26 gauge copper sheets-2.4375" round-- a total of (17) one quarter inch holes were drilled in the plates then placed in the column with an overlapping pattern so as not to be able to see directly thru them--the unit ran fine-- no channeling-- heated up with 7,000 watts then ran the run with the 1500 watt element full tilt-- held 174 solid for about6.5 to 7 hrs--results were 1.5 gals of 92% alcohol-- i started out with 15 gals. of wash--if i knew how to post on the computer i could draw a sketch-- if anymore questions-- feel free to write
          your brother in the spirits
          Blueflame456

          "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:
          > instead of scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise the first batch came out at about 92%

          Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
          Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
          Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
          How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
          Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
          How did you space them apart ?
          Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
          What would you do differently next time ?
          Any chance of a photo ?

          Tony

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 30, 2003
            If � inch holes were arranged in the pattern so none of the openings coincided with each other, then it is nothing but a different type of packing. It is logical when condensed distillate dripped on the bottom plate and then down the column seeking another hole go. I think it is not any kind of "plate" column, just another type of packing.

            Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...> wrote:
            Hello to all and thank u for the response-- the plates were the left over copper after making the EL unit that Alex designed-- my column is 2.5" the plates were band sawn to just fir the i.d. of the column-- i split some 2.5"copper so it would compress inside the existing column-- just took a .625 space out of the pipe with the milling machine--compressed then to close with hose clamps--then gently tap the pipe back to a round shape--(a sharp wack with a dead blow hammer and a  piece of oak across the slot does the trick-- insert into the bottom of the column and press towards the top-- add a plate and then press towards the top until u have all the plates inside-- the top plate is about 1.5"from the top of the column--this sleeve is small just to hold it in place-- the disc are cut from 26 gauge copper sheets-2.4375" round-- a total of (17) one quarter inch holes were drilled in the plates then placed in the column with an overlapping pattern so as not to be able to see directly thru them--the unit ran fine-- no channeling-- heated up with 7,000 watts then ran the run with the 1500 watt element full tilt-- held 174 solid for about6.5 to 7 hrs--results were 1.5 gals of 92% alcohol-- i started out with 15 gals. of wash--if i knew how to post on the computer i could draw a sketch-- if anymore questions-- feel free to write
            your brother in the spirits
            Blueflame456

            "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:
            > instead of scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise the first batch came out at about 92%

            Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
            Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
            Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
            How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
            Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
            How did you space them apart ?
            Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
            What would you do differently next time ?
            Any chance of a photo ?

            Tony

            Do you Yahoo!?

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Brandon Lee
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 30, 2003
              this is quite true-- i made to plates as not to have to pull scurbbers out and wash every time i made a run-- u merely place the column in the vinegar -- let soak about 30-45 minutes-- flush with plenty of water and you are done-- the hole pattern in the plates are the same-- they are just positioned in the column  differently--with the exception of the center hole-- u can see light thru the column but it is somewhat diffused--
              your brother in the spirits
              Blueflame456

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 30, 2003
                > If ¼ inch holes were arranged in the pattern so none of the openings coincided with each other, then it is nothing but a different type of packing. It is logical when condensed distillate dripped on the bottom plate and then down the column seeking another hole go. I think it is not any kind of "plate" column, just another type of packing.

                I'll agree and disagree with you on this one. It is a plated column, albiet a very primative one. But it fits the "criteria" required to match the name - eg distinct plates present, with a physical gap between each of them. It has the advantages that you could easily scale this up to over 4" diameter (try packing something that wide with scrubbers !), and it will easily handle a dirty wash, or one likely to cause scale or other buildup/deposits to form (eg molasses washes). Sure, it doesnt have a weir on each plate to control the liquid depth, nor downcommers etc to control the liquid & vapour, but it is a plated column.

                But yes - the effect at the end of the day is just the same as that of a packed column. Once you know how effective each plate is at doing a complete redistillation, you can estimate how many you will need to fill your column with. Rather than talk about a HETP - height of packing required to be equivalent to a theoretical plate, it is described in terms of "plate efficiency" - eg each of these might be 1/2 a theoretical plate, or 1/3 of one (eg do you need 2 or 3 of them to match 12cm of scrubbers ?)

                Tony
              • BOKAKOB
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 30, 2003
                  I thought that the term "plate" is when you have liquid condensate staged on this plate, not just some stuff that adheres there by a chance and drips off downward. Then I thought that different stages are separated by liquid condensate content without ability to advance except evaporating more.

                  In this column all stages are accessible by vapors. Condensation occurs only by the physical presence of plates and there is no distinct separation between stages.

                  "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:
                  > If � inch holes were arranged in the pattern so none of the openings coincided with each other, then it is nothing but a different type of packing. It is logical when condensed distillate dripped on the bottom plate and then down the column seeking another hole go. I think it is not any kind of "plate" column, just another type of packing.

                  I'll agree and disagree with you on this one.  It is a plated column, albiet a very primative one.  But it fits the "criteria" required to match the name - eg distinct plates present, with a physical gap between each of them.  It has the advantages that you could easily scale this up to over 4" diameter (try packing something that wide with scrubbers !), and it will easily handle a dirty wash, or one likely to cause scale or other buildup/deposits to form (eg molasses washes).  Sure, it doesnt have a weir on each plate to control the liquid depth, nor downcommers etc to control the liquid & vapour, but it is a plated column.

                  But yes - the effect at the end of the day is just the same as that of a packed column.  Once you know how effective each plate is at doing a complete redistillation, you can estimate how many you will need to fill your column with.  Rather than talk about a HETP - height of packing required to be equivalent to a theoretical plate, it is described in terms of "plate efficiency" - eg each of these might be 1/2 a theoretical plate, or 1/3 of one (eg do you need 2 or 3 of them to match 12cm of scrubbers ?)

                  Tony

                  I can be wrong I must say
                  Cheers, Alex...

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 30, 2003
                    BOKAKOB wrote:

                    I thought that the term "plate" is when you have liquid condensate staged on this plate, not just some stuff that adheres there by a chance and drips off downward. Then I thought that different stages are separated by liquid condensate content without ability to advance except evaporating more.

                    In this column all stages are accessible by vapors. Condensation occurs only by the physical presence of plates and there is no distinct separation between stages.
                    ==========================
                    Theoretical Equivalent plate Alex!  May be applied to any column, however packed ... with actual plates or with packing materials ... or nothing at all!  It is perfectly possible to have a column fitted with physical plates set 6cm apart to have a HETP that is greater than 6cm.  It comes down to how efficiently those physical plates work in the separation process.  A typical lyne arm in a big whiskey still, which has no plates or packing at all, will have a HETP somewhere around 3 ft.  Depends on its shape, ambient temperature, rate of boiling, etc etc ad nauseum.  Do not confuse the map with the territory ... HETP is a mathematical concept used in equations such as the McCabe-Thiele set.

                    Mike N

                  • BOKAKOB
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 30, 2003
                      OK I remember when my girlfriend learned math, her teacher said that zero divided by zero is equal one. I was thinking a lot, puzzled, and then said to her:
                      -- You know darling,.... from now on zero divided by zero is equal one!
                      I agree sinse it does not make any difference to me. Thank you Mike for explanations. BTW the slanted plates column got pattented. :-)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 30, 2003
                        excuse my defination of the piece of metal between the walls of the columns--it should have been disc-- it makes me no difference whether u call it plates-discs- or whatever-- it works for me -- and that is really all i am concerned with-- i could say things about something everyone has built-designed-constructed-- but it would not make a damn-- who cares-- all i was saying instead of pulling out scrubbers- this is simpler-easier-cleaner-don't need to be replaced-- now is this politically correct--
                        your brother in the spirits
                        blueflame456

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 30, 2003
                          BOKAKOB wrote:

                          OK I remember when my girlfriend learned math, her teacher said that zero
                          divided by zero is equal one. I was thinking a lot, puzzled, and then said
                          to her:
                          -- You know darling,.... from now on zero divided by zero is equal one!
                          I agree sinse it does not make any difference to me. Thank you Mike for
                          explanations. BTW the slanted plates column got pattented. :-)
                          =========================
                          Remind me never to confuse facts with fancy again Alex. Clearly a waste of
                          time.
                          I shall now remember that 0/0 = 0/1 x 1/0 = 0 x infinity = 0 is wrong.

                          By the way, how could you get a patent on something that was used over 100
                          years ago?
                          I had always thought that a patent was for new and innovative discoveries or
                          designs.
                          Must be wrong again ... sigh ....

                          Mike N
                        • Harley Daschund
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 1, 2003
                            FORGET the plates!!!!I am amazed 'Brok-a-Cob' has a girlfriend!!!!...:>)

                            From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
                            >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Brandons plate's
                            >BOKAKOB wrote:
                            >OK I remember when my girlfriend learned math, her teacher said that
                            >========================
                            >Remind me never to confuse facts with fancy again Alex. Clearly a waste of
                            >time.
                            >Mike N

                          • peter_vcb
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 1, 2003
                              if you went with a wide column you could shove scrubbers in between
                              the plates. they would be nice and evenly packed too.

                              Peter
                            • Brandon Lee
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 1, 2003
                                this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue-- if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanks
                                your brother in the spirits
                                Blueflame456

                                "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:
                                > instead of scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise the first batch came out at about 92%

                                Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                                Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                                Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                                How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                                Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                                How did you space them apart ?
                                Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                                What would you do differently next time ?
                                Any chance of a photo ?

                                Tony

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                              • CornFed (Randy)
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 1, 2003
                                  all that would need to be done is take a piece of stainless
                                  steel 'all thread', nuts and washers. A washer and nut on each side
                                  of the plate for spacing. The Plate could be a piece of flat copper
                                  or a perforated drain hair stopper found on bathroom sinks. Drill a
                                  hole in the center of each plate the size of the rod.

                                  once the assembly is put together, you just would have to pull the
                                  whole thing out of the top as a unit for cleaning and inspection. The
                                  bottom plate would rest against either the reducer, or a bolt or
                                  rivet installed on the bottom of the column.

                                  To unsure that all of the plates will fit down the hole before
                                  assembly on the all thread rod, simply bolt all them together
                                  touching, mark the diameter for the inside of your column, make your
                                  cut and then do whatever custom grinding is necessary to fine tune
                                  the fit.

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee <blueflame456@y...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue--
                                  if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is
                                  designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the
                                  exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be
                                  easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanksyour brother
                                  in the spiritsBlueflame456

                                  > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:> instead of
                                  scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                                  each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise
                                  the first batch came out at about 92%

                                  > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                                  > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                                  > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                                  > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to
                                  the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                                  > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                                  > How did you space them apart ?
                                  > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                                  > What would you do differently next time ?
                                  > Any chance of a photo ?
                                  >
                                  > Tony
                                  >
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to distillers-
                                  unsubscribe@onelist.com

                                  Service.

                                • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 1, 2003
                                     > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue-- if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be easily done by all who would want to try this

                                    I forgot where I got the file from on the net, but it had a whole collection of different things to do with column design etc.  Could post a copy on my site if anyone is interested (about 3Mb to download).  Some of the drawings attached below :

                                    Tony

                                  • abbababbaccc
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 1, 2003
                                      Nice idea. You could propably substitute the nut/washer combo
                                      inbetween the plates with a piece of copper tube that fits over the
                                      threaded rod (easier to tailor the distance between plates). Just
                                      have nut+washer at each end for disassembly & cleaning. Now would
                                      this be efficient with just plates or would it be beneficial to have
                                      a pot scrubber sandwiched between each two plates?

                                      Greetz, Riku

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy)" <cornfed15@h...>

                                    • Brandon Lee
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 2, 2003
                                        i have a total of 7 plates within the 48" column -- have completed another run just yesterday--once again 92%--15 gal of wash-turbo yeast-25 # sugar-25# corn--yields 1.625 gals at above %--
                                        Your brother in the spirits
                                        Blueflame456

                                        wrote:
                                        > all that would need to be done is take a piece of stainless
                                        > steel  'all thread', nuts and washers.  A washer and nut on each
                                        side
                                        > of the plate for spacing.  The Plate could be a piece of flat
                                        copper
                                        > or a perforated drain hair stopper found on bathroom sinks.   Drill
                                        > hole in the center of each plate the size of the rod.
                                        >
                                        > once the assembly is put together, you just would have to pull the
                                        > whole thing out of the top as a unit for cleaning and inspection.
                                        The
                                        > bottom plate would rest against either the reducer, or a bolt or
                                        > rivet installed  on the bottom of the column.
                                        >
                                        > To unsure that all of the plates will fit down the hole before
                                        > assembly on the all thread rod, simply bolt all them together
                                        > touching, mark the diameter for the inside of your column, make
                                        your
                                        > cut and then do whatever custom grinding is necessary to fine tune
                                        > the fit.
                                        >

                                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee <blueflame456@y...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > this is directed towards the group as a whole-- the plate issue--
                                        > if someone in the group could send me a sketch of how the plate is
                                        > designed (which i think i have an idea) but not quite sure of the
                                        > exact details-- i think i could come up with a way that would be
                                        > easily done by all who would want to try this---- thanksyour
                                        brother
                                        > in the spiritsBlueflame456
                                        > >
                                        > > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:> instead of
                                        > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                                        > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my supsrise
                                        > the first batch came out at about 92%
                                        > >
                                        > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                                        > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                                        > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                                        > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit to
                                        > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                                        > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                                        > > How did you space them apart ?
                                        > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                                        > > What would you do differently next time ?
                                        > > Any chance of a photo ?
                                        > >
                                        > > Tony
                                        > >
                                        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to  distillers-
                                        > unsubscribe@onelist.com

                                        > Service.

                                        Do you Yahoo!?

                                      • glasses97
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 3, 2003
                                          In the Petroleum Processing Handbook (McGraw Hill) they refer to
                                          plates used in Brandon's still as trays. Usually they have some type
                                          of corrugations or other design to maintain a even distribution of
                                          vapor and eliminate channeling. To see examples of these trays
                                          search the web for "Flexitray" by Koch Engineering and "Ripple Tray"
                                          by Stone & Webster.

                                          Glasses97//

                                          wrote:
> [...]
                                          of
                                          > > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                                          > > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my
                                          supsrise
                                          > > the first batch came out at about 92%
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                                          > > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                                          > > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                                          > > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit
                                          > > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                                          > > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                                          > > > How did you space them apart ?
                                          > > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                                          > > > What would you do differently next time ?
                                          > > > Any chance of a photo ?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Tony
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                          > > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to distillers-

                                          Service.

                                        • Brandon Lee
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 4, 2003
                                            hello to all  n the group - just a note to say that i added one more disc and with the first 3 quarts of this wash i am proud to say that the results @60degrees is 94%--using Alex's EL design(thank u Alex)--the temp. with 1500 watts holds 173.9 solid till the first 1.5 gals are exhausted them the temp starts to rise rapidly--in the Practical Distillers handbook they have a drawing with details on a unit they describe as the column-- which from their drawings -will scale down to a nominal proportion for home distiller useage-- much like the bubble plate unit i have read about( and do correct me if i am wrong or not politically correct)--using the column principal without the goose( which i see as a condenser unit)-- any and all thoughts-advise-criticisms welcome--this is what makes this group function--
                                            your brother in the Spirits
                                            Blueflame456

                                            wrote:
> [...]
                                            of
                                            > > scrubbers- i cut small copper disk with with 13 quater inch holes
                                            > > each spaced approx 7.25 " apart with 7 used total-- to my
                                            supsrise
                                            > > the first batch came out at about 92%
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Brandon - please do tell more...how did the column run ?
                                            > > > Any surging problems, or smoother than normal ?
                                            > > > Anything different happen vs using scrubbers ?
                                            > > > How did you make the plates - were they cut to be an exact fit
                                            > > the column walls, or a bit rough around the sides ?
                                            > > > Where did you find the plate to make them from ?
                                            > > > How did you space them apart ?
                                            > > > Where the holes in any particular pattern, or just random.
                                            > > > What would you do differently next time ?
                                            > > > Any chance of a photo ?
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Tony
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                            > > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to  distillers-

                                            Service.

                                            Do you Yahoo!?