Aluminium stills

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 1999
      I know this has all already been said, but I'd thought I'd toss my $0.02 in
      (well actually, sit it on the fence!)

      Aluminium - I'd agree with you all on this one. Aluminium wouldn't be the
      metal of choice for a commercial distillery, because it would quickly lose
      its passive oxide coating, and quickly pit & erode, due to an oxygen
      depleated environment. However, for a hobby still it is ideal - light,
      clean, and fairly easy to fabricate with. Provided it is cleaned after
      each run, and dried well, it will retain its protective oxide film. Sure,
      it bends a little easier, but just be carefull during cleaning. It all
      comes down to how often its going to be used. I have trouble getting
      through more than a couple of litres of spirit a month personal consumption,

      so generally my still is left unused for months at a time.
      The back-yard sellers i know,
      who tend to produce up to 100L a week swear by the stainless steel stills -
      more reliable for them (can take the repeated cleanings easier, etc). I
      chose aluminium soley from a cost point of view. (It was also easy to get
      back through customs - when dissassembled it makes a fantastic retro-looking
      lampshade)

      Sorry for the delay - two weeks in Oz caused the email to pile up a little.
      The trip was well worth it - I now have a VERY nice 2L oak cask for Xmas.
      Interesting to see how much stuff is now available (in Melbourne at least)
      - pot stills (in copper), yeasts, flavourings, etc, and good advice.

      cheers, Tony