my rum smelt of bananas!

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
      i distilled my rum at the weekend. i had my still set up as a simple
      reflux still. the still was out the back and i could see fumes coming
      out of the liebeg even though the temp at the head was 25C. the fumes
      looked like a mirage. i went out expecting a foul smell but it was a
      beautiful smell of bananas, not a hint of anything else just intense
      bananas. i forgot all about checking temps and it started pumping out
      distillate before i had a collection bottle in place. i dont know if
      the foreshots would have been intense banana flavour. i lost about
      50ml before collecting. the first bit did smell of bananas. i looked
      up my chem books and it seems pentyl acetate is banana flavour. my
      housemate came into the kitchen and asked "have you been feasting on
      bananas?". he got the smell coming in the window from outside! it
      turned out very nice i got about 3.5litres with 100ml heads and 700ml
      tails. collecting between 78 and 92C. tails to 94C. its sitting on
      toasted oak at the moment and is golden already. heres the recipie.
      any members in the UK/ireland could replicate it exactly. it uses
      tesco demerara sugar and lyes treacle.

      2.3kg treacle (5 1 pound tins)
      4-5kg unrefined brown demerara sugar
      40g of presitge 8kg tubo yeast (1/3 a packet)
      35-40l water
      fermented at 20C in a week, distilled uncleared 1 week later.

      Peter
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
        I usually get slight banana flavout when I make Sahti. I believe it's
        the result of 10% rye malt and brand of bakers yeast I use. What's
        that treacle stuff you use? Anything to do with rye?

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...>
        wrote:
        > i distilled my rum at the weekend. i had my still set up as a
        simple
        > reflux still. the still was out the back and i could see fumes
        coming
        > out of the liebeg even though the temp at the head was 25C. the
        fumes
        > looked like a mirage. i went out expecting a foul smell but it was
        > beautiful smell of bananas, not a hint of anything else just
        intense
        > bananas. i forgot all about checking temps and it started pumping
        out
        > distillate before i had a collection bottle in place. i dont know
        if
        > the foreshots would have been intense banana flavour. i lost about
        > 50ml before collecting. the first bit did smell of bananas. i
        looked
        > up my chem books and it seems pentyl acetate is banana flavour. my
        > housemate came into the kitchen and asked "have you been feasting
        on
        > bananas?". he got the smell coming in the window from outside! it
        > turned out very nice i got about 3.5litres with 100ml heads and
        700ml
        > tails. collecting between 78 and 92C. tails to 94C. its sitting on
        > toasted oak at the moment and is golden already. heres the recipie.
        > any members in the UK/ireland could replicate it exactly. it uses
        > tesco demerara sugar and lyes treacle.
        >
        > 2.3kg treacle (5 1 pound tins)
        > 4-5kg unrefined brown demerara sugar
        > 40g of presitge 8kg tubo yeast (1/3 a packet)
        > 35-40l water
        > fermented at 20C in a week, distilled uncleared 1 week later.
        >

        > Peter
      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
          Riku
          treacle is just another name for molasses, makes nice jamacian
          gingerbread. it is expensive since i could only get it in 1lb tubs. i
          may try to get it in a wholesalers/catering supplier. wholesale sugar
          is actually more expensive for me than supermarkets "own brand" sugar.
          i dont know if the treacle is beet based or sugar cane.

          Peter

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...>

        • lynnehal
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2003

            > Peter..
            Can you let me know more about the treacle...
            How do you melt it???
            do you melt it with the suger...
            to make 20lts would i just half your recipe...
            Thanks Davlyn...
          • peter_vcb
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2003
              i just poured the treacle into the fermenting bucket. i then rinsed
              the cans out twice with boiling water. it is a very thick syrup. then
              i added the sugar and lots of boiling water. if making 20 litres i
              would add more sugar/treacle. when making it i was aiming for about
              30-35 litres in my wash. i lost count of how many gallon jars i had
              added so i put an extra gallon in to be sure. i didnt measure the SG
              and rarely do except for at the end of fermenting. judging from other
              recipies mine is quite high in treacle which is almost twice the
              price of brown unrefined sugar (over here anyway) so if i did it
              again in 20 litres i would add 15-20g turbo yeast 3.5kg of brown
              sugar and 1kg treacle.

              Peter

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lynnehal" <lynnedave@b...> wrote:

              > > Peter..
              > Can you let me know more about the treacle...
              > How do you melt it???
              > do you melt it with the suger...
              > to make 20lts would i just half your recipe...
              > Thanks Davlyn...
            • lynnehal
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2003
                wrote:
                > i just poured the treacle into the fermenting bucket. i then rinsed
                > the cans out twice with boiling water. it is a very thick syrup.
                then
                > i added the sugar and lots of boiling water. if making 20 litres i
                > would add more sugar/treacle. when making it i was aiming for about
                > 30-35 litres in my wash. i lost count of how many gallon jars i had
                > added so i put an extra gallon in to be sure. i didnt measure the
                SG
                > and rarely do except for at the end of fermenting. judging from
                other
                > recipies mine is quite high in treacle which is almost twice the
                > price of brown unrefined sugar (over here anyway) so if i did it
                > again in 20 litres i would add 15-20g turbo yeast 3.5kg of brown
                > sugar and 1kg treacle.
                >
                > Peter
                >
                >Thanks Peter will give it a try i was looking for something new to
                try..
                Thanks Davlyn..
              • dasha smith
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2003
                  Hi everyone,
                  Quentin from Belize here ...please check out the attachment its a design for
                  a still and I would like peoples oppinion as i'm only gessing
                  many thanks
                  Quentin

                • William Coyne