Re: rice ,, and what can i fermeant out of it.. thank u brain and tony

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2003
      The Japanese also use amylase enzymes these days to convert rice
      starch to fermentable sugars - especially for distilled alcohol.
      There is no reason why you cannot treat rice like any
      other 'European' grain, be it barley, rye, millet, oats etc. using
      barley malt or enzymes. Rice whisky perhaps?
      Wal

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, tigger bear <tigger_bear22@y...>
      wrote:
      > thanks guys for that info,,i let u now how i go.. garry
      >
      > brain_solenoid <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:could some one give me a
      recipe so i can fermeant it in to a acohol
      > base for adding comercal flavorings to,,the rice is coming from a
      > rice farmer so its in the raw state ,,thank u for your time garry
      >

      > Garry,
      > To work with rice, you will have to convert the startches in one
      form
      > or another. There are (2) popular beverage styles that perform
      this
      > conversion........sake and beer.
      >
      > Sake - Sake uses an enzyme called Koji (Aspergillus)to covert the
      > starches to sugars. An excellent resource for saki recipes is Fred
      > Eckhart's book, "Sake USA", which gives all the particulars on how
      > convert the rice starches and maintain a rice ferment.
      > Also, perform a Yahoo! or similar search for "homemade saki
      recipes"
      > or "homemade sake recipes", and various versions thereof, to get an
      > idea on how typically this material is fermented.
      >
      > Beer - After cooking the rice (aka gelitanizing), it is mashed with
      6-
      > Row Pale malt to break the starches. 6-Row is available in most,
      if
      > not all, homebrew shops, and contains a high diastatic rating
      (i.e.,
      > the ability to perform starch conversion on things other than
      > itself). Major Breweries that produce the "Premium American
      Pilsner"
      > use 6-Row to covert the rice and corn into fermentables.
      > So.......you ask......why do Breweries use rice and corn? Rice and
      > corn produce very light worts (the Brewer's version of a wash) and
      > can actually save on batch cost because they don't have to be
      malted
      > like barley.
      >
      > What you're going to end up with, Garry, is a light wash that will
      be
      > quite hazey due to the rice proteins........very milky
      > colored.......I once had a Sake from a monastery in Japan that had
      an
      > incredible haze.....unfiltered......and came off a lot like
      the "hefe-
      > weizens of sake". It tasted heavily of rice.
      > If you clear the wash, prior to distillation, it will, in essence,
      be
      > sake. Distill that and you will probably get a clear, light run
      that
      > will be great mixed with cherry or raspberry juice. However, I
      have
      > never distilled sake......good experiment!
      >
      > Regards,
      > BS
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      > var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1]
      = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069354.4492417.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=
      1705041694:HM/A=1540635/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/c
      gi-bin/clink?
      proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069354.4492417.1728375/D=egroupweb
      /S=1705041694:HM/A=1540635/R=1/1050518442+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/
      http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-
      url/http://www.proflowers.com/freechocolate/index.cfm%
      3FREF=FCHYahooEgroupsEasterLRECgif"; var
      link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile
      = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers/proflowers_easter_300x250.swf?
      clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL
      = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069354.4492417.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=
      1705041694:HM/A=1540635/R=2/id=altimgurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/
      /S=1705041694:HM/A=1540635/R=3/1050518442+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/
      http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-
      url/http://www.proflowers.com/freechocolate/index.cfm%
      3FREF=FCHYahooEgroupsEasterLRECgif"; var lrec_altimg
      = "http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/easter_tulip_300x250_choc.gif";
      var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;
      > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to distillers-
      unsubscribe@onelist.com

      Service.

      > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your
      desktop!