Re: [Distillers] Grappa advice

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2000
      Hi Andrew,
      Grappa is not for newbies! You sound like you have some experience
      though. Yes, there is some sugar left in the skins albeit a small amount.
      Don't be tempted to add tons of sugar to push up the alcohol content, all
      you'll end up doing is loosing flavor. Let's talk safety, methanol kills,
      that said, the best way to get rid of the stuff is to double or tripple
      distill through a thumper(doubler, bubbler, whatever you want to call it)
      filled with water not tails or wash. the reason for using water is that
      methanol is hydrophylic and has a tendancy to stay put as long as the
      temperature doesn't get to high. you'll want to change out the water(use
      hot) after the first liter of heads are collected. The best grappa I ever
      had was aged in a sherry cask.
      Good luck,
      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...