Salt

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2000
      A little while back, Maurice posted ..

      >..did anybody ever try this one when distilling put a
      >teaspoonful of ordinary table salt into the wash ..the spirit
      >comes over much better..

      no one seemed to reply at the time...but I've just found something similar
      in the "Fuel Ethanol - A guide for the small scale producer" book. They
      talk about using salts during extractive distillation (eg when trying to
      distill past the 95.6% azeotrope) so as to depress the volatility of the
      water (eg effectively increase its boiling point, so you get a greater % of
      ethanol off compared to normal). Becasue the salt is non-volitile, it will
      always remain in the pot, and not turn up in the distillate.

      Has anyone since tried this ?

      Tony