Re: Re: Aluminium salts inn product

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 1999
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Aluminium salts in product

      >From: Yorg <yorgsand@...>
      >
      >I'm not saying I don't believe you Mike - you've been very credible and
      helpful -
      >especially in our private exchange, but how do I know my household test for
      >Aluminium salts is really working. I'm a kind of see it is believe it kind
      of guy
      >in areas I'm unfamiliar about. Can you suggest a control, where I am bound
      to see
      >the tell-tale deposit of Aluminium salts using the same process - so that I
      can be
      >sure it is working. Then - when I perform the same test, minutes later,
      with the
      >same batch of ingredients, on the product -when I don't see the deposit
      I'll feel
      >comfortable.
      >Ta, Yorg.

      Hehehehe - thousands would disagree with you Yorg and say I'm just on a
      'know it all' jag.
      Got news for you and others out there - I don't and I'm not. Just something
      I remembered
      from my chem days, but didn't trust my memory till I'd checked the books and
      tried it
      myself (like you). The white precipitate you get is aluminium hydroxide
      Al(OH)3. The term
      salt is pretty general and is usually used to refer to any compound of a
      metal with something
      else - it doesn't necessarily have to look like the salt we're used to in
      everyday life. The
      check that it's aluminium hydroxide is in doing the test with two reagents -
      aqueous
      ammonia solution and then with caustic soda - sodium hydroxide. My trusty
      book tells
      me that if you can get hold of some disodium phosphate then you should get a
      gelatinous
      precipitate of aluminium phosphate, insoluble in acetic acid but soluble in
      hydrochloric acid.
      However, I don't recommend rushing out to your trusty druggist and demanding
      these
      reagents - you'd be asked quite a few questions I think!

      I would not recommend aluminium for brewing beer or wine in, but not from
      the health of
      us point of view, from the point of view of the poor wee yeasts which might
      not like it.
      Mind you, not having tested that statement, please don't take it at face
      value. Maybe the
      little beggars love it! Do some testing yourself. In fact - everyone do
      some testing and
      don't just sit back and weigh up the ponderous utterances of gurus to see
      which answer
      sounds most pleasing. Home distilling is a new thing and we're all
      learning, hopefully
      by rolling up our sleeves and getting on with it.

      By the way Yorg, if you're leery about aluminium and don't trust the tests,
      just don't use it.
      All I can say is that the cooking and camping worlds love aluminium pots and
      pans.
      Commercial kitchens use stainless steel simply because it stands up to wear
      and tear
      better. My favourite pots pans are all solid copper and tin lined. This
      tin wears off with
      time, and there is little doubt that it gets into the food we eat - but I'm
      not going green
      about the gills yet. In contrast, try visiting a health food shop sometime
      and look at the
      vast range of minerals that they swear are essential for our health. I must
      admit to finding
      a little amusing to see this barrage of concern (not just you Yorg - you
      have a genuine and
      reasonable interest) from those bent hell for leather on producing ethanol
      for consumption!

      All the very best,

      Mike