Re: [Distillers] Rob's keg

  • Lyn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2000
      Hi Robert and all
      I dont know what sort of coupling fosters use but
      If the keg has a flat top for the coupling to slide over then compress the seal it should also have one hole drilled in the flat bit by its edge, if not drill one, a spanner can be made of 18 inches or so of any shity flat bar laying around and 2 quarter inch bolts, they are right hand treads on the spear and valve, the big WARNING is that there might be 60 or so psi sitting happily in the thing so be careful. After the pressure is released and the thread is all the way undone you should or might, encounter a pilfer proof type of gadget this is only a tab of stainless that some clever gnome has bent over from the inside somehow, this can be pulled straight out with the clever use of a lump of wood over the handley bits at the top and a crowbar
      The other popular standard is the one in which the coupler screws into the valve and spear assembly, these have a circlip holding the thing together and a very course left hand thread to remove the assembly, trying to compress the valve body to take pressure off the circlip does not help and just makes for a bent up keg, a freshly sharpend chisel is a nice way to get the clip out.
      Another consideration is to use these things for what they were built for, snaplock fittings and a coupler can be very easily scrounged or bought, the keg thrown in an old fridge with a couple of holes drilled, for co2 in  and beer out, and then its just a matter of time b4 you put a beer tap on the kitchen sink instead of the side of the fridge . Home-brew then becomes very simple and convenient. Great delight can be had waking with a hangover to not find a room full of empty bottles that have to be washed b4 the shit in them goes hard and sticks to the inside.
      The first style of keg i mentioned is by far the easiest to use in my opinion for beer.
      Will send the group a picture of my kitchen sink one day when i get access to a digital camera.
      For a gas fired still your keg can be wraped with corugated iron, Tek screwed top and bottom(in that section of the keg used as as stand and handle ) then lagged with rock wool providing 17 lovely chimneys for the heat to rise and be tansfered very nicely to the contents via this masive surface area,extending the corro six inches or so provides a new stand and the space for the burner to sit, not that i would do such a thing.
      A warm stale beer shower is an experience that I and many friends have shared and an almost compulsory part of the learning curve
      Enjoy
      Lyn

      Robert Mitchell wrote:

      I posted earlier about the 2 beer kegs I just bought. One was heavier than the other and had some liquid sloshing around in it. I tried to drain it using my trusty ballpeen hammer on the fitting. I got showered in beer! Fresh beer under pressure! Makes ya wonder. perhaps some enterprising soul liberated them from behind a pub and they made there way to the scrap dealer. Now if I can only figure out how to get it out and into a pint i'll enjoy a little dividend on my investment.

      Wet but happy Rob

      Do You Yahoo!?