Beer kegs and Boilers

  • Robert Mitchell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9 1:13 PM

      Just today I  went down to the local scrap metal recycling place. I was looking for some 2" to 4" cooper pipe, fittings etc. There was literally tons of stainless stell scrap.At the bottom of one bin I spyed 2 beer kegs! The dealer sold them to me for their scrap metal value of $1 a pound! I bought both for a total of 60 bucks. Foster's loss is my gain. What luck! Boy am I happy.

       I'll cut off the top of one for a boiler\mash vessel but I'll leave the handles on to make lifting easier. As for the other, I'll knock off the pressure fitting , widen the hole and get a fitting soldered or welded on so the I can attach a reflux collumn.

      They are 60 litre (13 gal imperial) in capacity. Here's the question. Should I build a 2in or a 4 inch diameter reflux? I just need to back to the scrap dealers for copper pip and fittings. Fifty cents a pound!

      Also, most of the fittings, since they are used would have to be taken apart using a propane torch to melt the old solder. This is no problem. The issue is geting the old lead solder out of tthe fittings. any body out there dealt with this sort of thing before? Perhaps while the soder is still molten, I could wipe it with steel wool using an insulated glove of course!

       Happy, happy Rob

      Do You Yahoo!?