RE: [Distillers] beer keg

  • Rob van Leuven
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2000

      -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
      Van: Louie Belle [mailto:louiebelle@...]
      Verzonden: zondag 10 september 2000 0:56
      Aan: Distillers@egroups.com
      Onderwerp: [Distillers] beer keg

      Im in Australia and I was just wondering how you go about getting a   50 Lt
      beer keg to make your boiler out of?  They're not really the type of thing
      you can just go out and buy and they are owned by the beer companies are'nt
      they???

      Any tips on how to acquire a beer keg would be very much appreciated, I
      suppose a 50 litre beer keg is better than a 15 litre stock pot aye?

      Thanks again

      Louie Belle

                  Hi Louie,

                  A 50 litre beer keg is not necessarily better, only if you want to make large quantities of booze. A ss stock pot works very well; mine is only 10 litres (look at Tony Ackland’s site under reflux stills:  www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller ) and it works great with my modified stillmaker still. A friend of mine drilled a hole in the lid and welded a ss ¾” connector on top of it, which takes the brass end of the column. I glued the lid to the pot with fishtank-grade silicone; very resilient and heatproof upto 150 celsius. Cleaning? Put some glass beads in the pot together with a good winemaker’s cleaning agent and shake well ! For heating I use a 1200W hotplate with 6 fixed settings; this is not always accurate enough so I’m will be building a triac regulator soon.

                  Regards,

                  Rob

    • Louie Belle
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2000