Oak source

  • homedistiller
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
      Peter,

      Don't worry, if you look for it and ask around you'll find oak, for
      free and lots of it.

      Oaks are quite late to get their leaves and indeed look for old
      acorns underneath the tree.

      I would advise against oak from old barrels as the oak taste has been
      leached out.

      Dirk

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...>
      wrote:
      > Dirk- i dont know what an oak tree looks like! i went to the local
      > park but couldnt find any acorns. it is spring here now so the
      trees
      > are bare.
      >
      > Moutwijn- thanks for the links. i usually buy from gert strand but
      he
      > doesnt actually sell chips just essences. the belgian company is
      very
      > good but postage is extorionate like gerts.
      >
      > Brandon- thanks for the offer! somebody told me to find a timber
      > mill. my neighbour says her friend has a jameson whiskey barrel in
      > her garden as a flower pot. i have spotted several barrels in the
      > local pub's beer garden, i may have to sneak a wood plane in and
      get
      > some shavings :-) if all fails i may take you up on the offer.
      thanks.

      > are there any other woods used in ageing?
      >
      > Peter
      >

      > > > any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont
      care
      > > if
      > > > they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap
      including
      > > post.
    • popwahtosh
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18, 2004
        Last week my wife purchased a used wine barrel from a ranch supply
        for 20 dollars and the guy cut it in half for free. Since she was
        using it for flower planters I had to cut holes in the bottom with a
        powered ship auger for drainage. When I was finished I had about 4
        handfulls of very aromatic chips. As time goes buy we will buy
        several more for that purpose. Since I have 5 different sizes of
        augers, I will cut varius sizes next time and store them in jars. I
        will also soak some over night and toss them in the BBQ next time
        we grill steaks.

        Can't wait 'till my still is finished.

        Pop
      • foutzdj
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2005
          Hey, I'm getting ready to put my newly distilled rum on toasted oak. I
          have some used oak chips that were in rum from the last time. Does
          anyone reuse these? Does it make it better or worse? What ratio do you
          use from new to used? Thanks
          Dan
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

            > Hey, I'm getting ready to put my newly distilled rum on toasted
            oak. Does anyone reuse these? Does it make it better or worse? What
            ratio do you use from new to used? Thanks Dan

            I've had no problems reusing chips a couple of times. Just remember
            that every variable you can think of affects the taste of the aged
            product (spirit abv, time&temp of oak toasting, # times reused, heat
            cycles, agitation, etc) - so keep good notes if you want to duplicate
            the taste, and do a taste test one a week or so.

            Check out the new distillers group / files / oak juice. That shows
            how somebody showed me how to do it.