Re: how to get a vertical column

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
      Dirk- i dont know what an oak tree looks like! i went to the local
      park but couldnt find any acorns. it is spring here now so the trees
      are bare.

      Moutwijn- thanks for the links. i usually buy from gert strand but he
      doesnt actually sell chips just essences. the belgian company is very
      good but postage is extorionate like gerts.

      Brandon- thanks for the offer! somebody told me to find a timber
      mill. my neighbour says her friend has a jameson whiskey barrel in
      her garden as a flower pot. i have spotted several barrels in the
      local pub's beer garden, i may have to sneak a wood plane in and get
      some shavings :-) if all fails i may take you up on the offer. thanks.

      are there any other woods used in ageing?

      Peter

      > > any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont care
      > if
      > > they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap including
      > post.
    • homedistiller
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
        Peter,

        Don't worry, if you look for it and ask around you'll find oak, for
        free and lots of it.

        Oaks are quite late to get their leaves and indeed look for old
        acorns underneath the tree.

        I would advise against oak from old barrels as the oak taste has been
        leached out.

        Dirk

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...>
        wrote:
        > Dirk- i dont know what an oak tree looks like! i went to the local
        > park but couldnt find any acorns. it is spring here now so the
        trees
        > are bare.
        >
        > Moutwijn- thanks for the links. i usually buy from gert strand but
        he
        > doesnt actually sell chips just essences. the belgian company is
        very
        > good but postage is extorionate like gerts.
        >
        > Brandon- thanks for the offer! somebody told me to find a timber
        > mill. my neighbour says her friend has a jameson whiskey barrel in
        > her garden as a flower pot. i have spotted several barrels in the
        > local pub's beer garden, i may have to sneak a wood plane in and
        get
        > some shavings :-) if all fails i may take you up on the offer.
        thanks.

        > are there any other woods used in ageing?
        >
        > Peter
        >

        > > > any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont
        care
        > > if
        > > > they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap
        including
        > > post.
      • popwahtosh
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18, 2004
          Last week my wife purchased a used wine barrel from a ranch supply
          for 20 dollars and the guy cut it in half for free. Since she was
          using it for flower planters I had to cut holes in the bottom with a
          powered ship auger for drainage. When I was finished I had about 4
          handfulls of very aromatic chips. As time goes buy we will buy
          several more for that purpose. Since I have 5 different sizes of
          augers, I will cut varius sizes next time and store them in jars. I
          will also soak some over night and toss them in the BBQ next time
          we grill steaks.

          Can't wait 'till my still is finished.

          Pop
        • foutzdj
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2005
            Hey, I'm getting ready to put my newly distilled rum on toasted oak. I
            have some used oak chips that were in rum from the last time. Does
            anyone reuse these? Does it make it better or worse? What ratio do you
            use from new to used? Thanks
            Dan
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

              > Hey, I'm getting ready to put my newly distilled rum on toasted
              oak. Does anyone reuse these? Does it make it better or worse? What
              ratio do you use from new to used? Thanks Dan

              I've had no problems reusing chips a couple of times. Just remember
              that every variable you can think of affects the taste of the aged
              product (spirit abv, time&temp of oak toasting, # times reused, heat
              cycles, agitation, etc) - so keep good notes if you want to duplicate
              the taste, and do a taste test one a week or so.

              Check out the new distillers group / files / oak juice. That shows
              how somebody showed me how to do it.