independant book review

  • bj-fm@xxxxxx.xxx.xx
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 1999
      home distillation handbook by ola norrman---is an extension of www.partyman.se
      and although a blatant series of advertisments for the gert strand organisation in general this publication of some 90 pages is an excellent starting manual
      for all,the short condensors concern me but obviously people buying his stills are happy,although they were designed for a very very cold country where the town water if used for cooling would be freezing .
      the various formulations and instructions for practical application are simple
      and easy to follow.
      i don't believe he gives enough safety warnings when advocating stove top use ,so to the newcomer take heed this stuff has as much grunt as petrol.
      page 65 ,when suggesting dimensions he advocates 590mm tall and gives no diameter but if i were building a fractionating tower it would be at least
      1000mm tall and 50mm diameter.
      he talks about volume control of heat ,this is fine if you are operating the fractionating tower and tapping off different products at different levels
      ,but for the home distiller surely if the wattage that drives the still is right
      it is just a matter of switching on and letting it rip======charlie papazian in his well respected home brewing publications insists continuosly "relax ,don't worry ,have a home brew" how true===this hobby for me and i'm sure you has to be pain free===in saying that maybe it can get too serious,maybe even too academic=====in conclusion at $australian$$$ 20 and i think about $$$new zealand
      24/25 ,good diagrams,good photos,good value

      many regards to all brian
    • BJ & FM Poke
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 1999
        spirits unlimited-a comprehensive guide to home distilling,by peter wheeler and ray willmott,===here we have a book with the potential to be an international best seller in it's field'what a combination a software man and a hardware man as the authors,at $a20 extremely good value,many photo's both historical and relevant contemporary,brilliant step by step instructions easy to follow concise excellent.
        the chapters/references to liqueurs and essential oils very beneficial to the curious element in us all'the idea of an extra pre-condensate cooling advantage at the top of the towers is well done as it is the flexibility we all need.
        and the coup de grace for this publication is the miriad of useful tables/references,what a feast!!!!!!!! do yourself a favour buy it or give it as a millenium present to a friend and with a bit of luck some of the manifestation may come back your way:
        now,peter and ray i hope your reading this ,just as you have become warm and fuzzy and you thought it was safe to go back on the water[a corrupted quote from a well known movie] here are the barbs====1.buy 2 life jackets
        2.in the next edition include a chapter on pot distillation other wise it looks too much like an ad. for spirits unlimited products
        3.page 19 top photo is in hobart tasmania not beenleigh queensland
        4.page 20 bottom photo is a next batch wash pre-heater ,part of the still head ,not a still ,also at our friendly oppositions distillery in hobart tasmania
        5.the 2 references to australian whisky page 60 and 96 please oh! please put them in the historical context that they should be in oz whisky hasn't been made out of wheat for 47 years and yes back then it deserved a good slamming ,one of the companies we contracted to was sending our single malt to scotland in commercial quantities,i rest my case.
        6.re. references to short condensors in the book to allow ethers to gas off and not condense very true but there are several other designs which allow this to happen e,g.-the 45 degree angle condensor and the vented condensor both easily made by the tinkerer and by the questions this newsgroup many people like to tinker,now i realise you make money out of selling stills,but maybe it's time to put a chapter in your next edition on making stills at home,you will make a few quid then selling more books easier than making stills??????
        7.is that G.C.readout really necessary it takes up two good pages.
        all round possibly the best general publication in the world when the two chapter additions are made and with a bit of a push would become a classic working/reference manual,particularly in australia as 21 million aussies will be able to legally distill at home fairly soon and will need information-----well done boys it proves that persistance pays off ,now that you are making a profit you can buy new lino for that stained floor,truth be known JAN deserves it==== many many regards to all happy millenium,go to the non-commercial url's in recent postings this n.g.to link you to commercial sites to buy this book--brian
      • Aaron and Julie
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 1999
          Is this true Brian,

          that bit about distilling being legal in Australia in the not too distant
          future?

          that would be excellent

          cheers
          Aaron