Aerating Wash

  • Edward Hamilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2000
      From my experience at the distilleries that actually aerate the wash it is
      done in two stages which I should have mentioned earlier.
      First, aeration is used to stir the wash when active yeast is added the
      larger fermentation vat.
      Second, aeration is used when the fermentation is almost complete to strip
      as much H2S gas from the wash. By removing as much of this corrosive gas as
      possible from the wash, the still will last longer. This will also reduce
      the sharp taste and odor of the fresh rum.

      This is much more important when fermenting molasses which has a relative
      higher sulfur content compared to sugar which has been cleaned up in the
      sugar making process.

      Nice to hear how commercial distillation can be applied to the home
      distiller. Not everything will work on a small scale.