Poly Still

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 5:06 PM
      I had a quick look at plastics used for plumbing and irrigation -
      they mention PVC and polyethylene. A 'moonshine' still that was
      advertised on the internet used this material but changed to copper -
      at least for the parts that come in contact with alcohol.
      You can use epoxy resin (e.g. Araldite) to glue copper connectors -
      you do not need to weld for low impact purposes.
      Polypropylene buckets are available and are suitable for an electic
      kettle/boiler. But pipes? Even the Duraplast still uses copper for
      the tower.

      e.g. see
      http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a47595.html

      Wal
    • Aaron Pelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31 11:31 PM
        Wal,

        If you mean Duplast, instead of Duraplast, then the column is indeed
        plastic, as are the marbles used for packing. Only the cap on top of the
        column, incorporating the reflux coil, is copper.

        Aaron.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31 11:39 PM
          What type of plastic? Polypropolene like the kettle I hope.
          Wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
          > Wal,
          >
          > If you mean Duplast, instead of Duraplast, then the column is indeed
          > plastic, as are the marbles used for packing. Only the cap on top
          of the
          > column, incorporating the reflux coil, is copper.
          >
          > Aaron.
          >
          > > kettle/boiler. But pipes? Even the Duraplast still uses copper for
          > > the tower.

        • Aaron Pelly
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
            Sorry mate, no idea. A few others on the list have one though, maybe they
            still have the original documentation?