RE: [Distillers] unfermented sugar

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2000
      Gary i agree 100%. All this farting around just for the sake of saving a few
      dollars. one thing we must remember is in NZ we are not allowed to use
      Urea(nitrogen as a fermentation enhancer) because of the carcinogenic
      possibilities. With the product available we can make an end product that is
      100% safe. And safety is of paramount importance. Using the "OLD" way might
      be fine for an experiment, but we are into "The Best We Can Make",with
      quality our primary concern.
      Pete at Brewers Barn

      From: yldog@...
      To: Distillers@egroups.com
      Subject: [Distillers] unfermented sugar
      Date: Monday, 4 September 2000 19:53

      hello all
      i have been having some problems with unfermented sugar which cloges
      up the still and wasts sugar. i have a starting SG of about 1060
      which
      is 200 grams per liter or something like that and i am using a beer
      yeast. It is only fermenting down to and SG of 1020 even when i have
      added more than enough nutrient and the tempurature is at a constant
      25 C.
      Does anyone have any idea's on what could be the problem?
      i had a thought that maybe i didn't have enough oxygen at the start
      for the yeast after reading the last few messages concerning this
      topic. Yet if i was to pump air into it, it wouldn't be clean air
      with
      all of the bacteria in the air and i don't think the fish tank
      filters
      take out bacteria does anyone know if the do?
      thanks.
      Scott