SV: SV: [Distillers] Amazing still questions

  • Johan
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31 1:22 PM
      You can use a TS Jäger, I know of at least two that use the 75W with
      success, I don't own one myself but it is easy to modify. If you buy one,
      let me know and I will check how to modify it.
      The TS have a overheat protection as well and the cord doesn't need to be
      protected.

      50W in the basic version will give you about 45 degrees, 75W about 55, maybe
      more. The average power in the insulated is 35W

      Johan

      I hoped to avoid opening the heater. What I was considering was a
      Hagen Tronic heater, which I think can have the thermostat "fixed" for
      my uses. Of course, if I could find a heater that would just run all
      the time at 45 C or so, I'd be happiest. I can find other Jager
      heaters (the TS series that range from 18 to 34 C), but not the one
      you mentioned with a suitable preset temperature.

      I would have thought 50 to 75W was too low a power output. I assume
      that this is with the insulated inner bucket (which I am building) and
      that the uninsulated prototype needed a heater with a bigger output.

      rw

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Johan" <mugg@h...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I want to take the first step up from a pot and wok still, and am
      > starting construction of an Amazing Still. I have some questions.
      >
      > 1) I can't find a source (in Ontario, Canada) for the Jager aquarium
      > heater and I am not inclined to deal with customs. Has anyone tried a
      > Hagen aquarium heater? Any advice on particular models?
      > >
      > --
      > You can use almost any aquarium heater, but you have to modify them.
      Most
      > thermostat regulated immersion heaters have bimetal thermostat, if
      you open
      > the heater (that's the tricky part) all you have to do is to force the
      > switch down so it is always running. I use a paperball to do that.
      > If you use a 50W heater you won't have to regulate it, a 75W heater is
      > faster and you can use a dimmer to decrease the power some. You have to
      > regulate it if you're going to use the insulated version.

      To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
      distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31 1:35 PM
        singlescanner wrote:
        Subject: Re: SV: [Distillers] Amazing still questions

        I hoped to avoid opening the heater.  What I was considering was a Hagen Tronic heater, which I think can have the thermostat "fixed" for my uses.  Of course, if I could find a heater that would just run all the time at 45 C or so, I'd be happiest.  I can find other Jager heaters (the TS series that range from 18 to 34 C), but not the one you mentioned with a suitable preset temperature.
        ============================
        This got me pondering, as the exercise seems to be getting expensive.
        Has anyone tried using ordinary light bulbs as heaters?  Amost all of their rated output is in the form of heat, not light.
        I'm not suggesting anything so silly as submerging them in the wash, but mounting them in a small open-topped box (cardboard even) and sitting Johan's still on top of that should give you all the heat you need for that still, at whatever wattage you require, and for far less cost than an aquarium heater.

        Mike N

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
          Hi Mike
          the problem is you want the bottom of the amazing still to be as cool
          as possible to stop the distillate re-evaporating. the ones in
          http://www.aquaristikshop.de/ are very cheap, but then again postage
          doubles the cost still under 20 euro though. it may work if you had a
          tube from the bottom so the distillate never pools in the bottom

          > singlescanner wrote:
          > Subject: Re: SV: [Distillers] Amazing still questions
          >
          > I hoped to avoid opening the heater. What I was considering was a
          Hagen Tronic heater, which I think can have the thermostat "fixed"
          for my uses. Of course, if I could find a heater that would just run
          all the time at 45 C or so, I'd be happiest. I can find other Jager
          heaters (the TS series that range from 18 to 34 C), but not the one
          you mentioned with a suitable preset temperature.
          > ============================
          > This got me pondering, as the exercise seems to be getting
          expensive.
          > Has anyone tried using ordinary light bulbs as heaters? Amost all
          of their rated output is in the form of heat, not light.
          > I'm not suggesting anything so silly as submerging them in the
          wash, but mounting them in a small open-topped box (cardboard even)
          and sitting Johan's still on top of that should give you all the heat
          you need for that still, at whatever wattage you require, and for far
          less cost than an aquarium heater.

          > Mike N
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
            Yes, you're right Peter ... I must admit that I had overlooked that.  However, is there any reason why the two buckets shouldn't sit side by side, each with a lid and a tube running between them?  That would make the setup a bit like the school demo where you interconnect two flasks, warming one and leaving the other cool.  Liquid slowly migrates from one to the other.  Not as compact, I grant you, but it would enable the heated wash bucket to be well insulated against heat loss, which might help things along.  I have a big cardboard box in which I used to put my fermenter together with a 100W light bulb connected via a thermostat that sensed air temp.  A good, cheap way of getting controlled heating, although now redundant as turbos generally need cooling rather than warming, but it could get quite toasty warm in there.  I'll give it a go and see if it does anything worthwhile.  I reckon I'm quite good at turning any simple, elegant design into a complicated nightmare :-)

            Cheers,
            Mike N
            the problem is you want the bottom of the amazing still to be as cool
            as possible to stop the distillate re-evaporating. the ones in
            http://www.aquaristikshop.de/ are very cheap, but then again postage
            doubles the cost still under 20 euro though. it may work if you had a
            tube from the bottom so the distillate never pools in the bottom

            > singlescanner wrote:
            > Subject: Re: SV: [Distillers] Amazing still questions
            >
            > I hoped to avoid opening the heater.  What I was considering was a
            Hagen Tronic heater, which I think can have the thermostat "fixed"
            for my uses.  Of course, if I could find a heater that would just run
            all the time at 45 C or so, I'd be happiest.  I can find other Jager
            heaters (the TS series that range from 18 to 34 C), but not the one
            you mentioned with a suitable preset temperature.
            > ============================
            > This got me pondering, as the exercise seems to be getting
            expensive.
            > Has anyone tried using ordinary light bulbs as heaters?  Amost all
            of their rated output is in the form of heat, not light.
            > I'm not suggesting anything so silly as submerging them in the
            wash, but mounting them in a small open-topped box (cardboard even)
            and sitting Johan's still on top of that should give you all the heat
            you need for that still, at whatever wattage you require, and for far
            less cost than an aquarium heater.

            > Mike N

          • Johan
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003

              Yes please try,

              A Swede gave that a try and it works so far.

              Johan