how to get a vertical column

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2003
      i attached a plumb line to my column and put cardboard under the keg
      until it was vertical. 4 plumblines would be better (placed evenly
      around the quadrants) since if the line rests against the column it
      may be tilted in the opposite direction.

      Peter

      any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont care if
      they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap including post.
    • homedistiller
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2003
        Peter,

        Oak chips online ?
        Is there no oak tree in your neighbourhood ? In a park or so ?

        Dirk

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb" <v
        iciousblackout@y...>
        wrote:
        > any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont care
        if
        > they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap including
        post.
      • moutwijn
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2003
          Sources for oak chips are:
          www.partyman.se/default.htm Gert Strand Sweden
          www.geist-im-glas.com/ a german supplier who also has all the Gert
          Strand essences.
          www.brouwland.com/ a belgian company
          www.turbogist.nl/ a dutch comapny

          Probaply there are more but these are the one's I know.

          greetings,

          Moutwijn

          <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
          > i attached a plumb line to my column and put cardboard under the
          keg
          > until it was vertical. 4 plumblines would be better (placed evenly
          > around the quadrants) since if the line rests against the column
          it
          > may be tilted in the opposite direction.
          >
          > Peter
          >
          > any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont care
          if
          > they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap including
          post.
        • Brandon Lee
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2003

            Peter-- we run lots of oak in the stair units we build and from time to time have almost mountains of the stuff-- from chips to flakes-- depending on what machine  happen to be looking at-- if u send me your address-- next time i run some-- will be glad to send u a bag or two-- try the cherry chips -- they work great as well-- gives a sweet flavor--Send your address to Blueflame456@...

            your brother in the spirits

             peter_vcb <viciousblackout@...> wrote:

            i attached a plumb line to my column and put cardboard under the keg
            until it was vertical. 4 plumblines would be better (placed evenly
            around the quadrants) since if the line rests against the column it
            may be tilted in the opposite direction.

            Peter

            any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont care if
            they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap including post.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • rodmacd2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2003
              I recently purchased a KAYPRO POS-RITE level at my local Canadian
              Tire for about Can $10. It consists of two level bubbles on plastic
              cards hinged at the center. This is mounted via an elastic belt
              around the insulation high on my distillation column such that the
              two levels are at 90 degrees to each other.

              I don't worry too much about plumbness during stripping runs but
              during a high reflux run it is important that the column is as nearly
              truly vertical as possible to avoid channeling of reflux along one
              side of the column.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
                Dirk- i dont know what an oak tree looks like! i went to the local
                park but couldnt find any acorns. it is spring here now so the trees
                are bare.

                Moutwijn- thanks for the links. i usually buy from gert strand but he
                doesnt actually sell chips just essences. the belgian company is very
                good but postage is extorionate like gerts.

                Brandon- thanks for the offer! somebody told me to find a timber
                mill. my neighbour says her friend has a jameson whiskey barrel in
                her garden as a flower pot. i have spotted several barrels in the
                local pub's beer garden, i may have to sneak a wood plane in and get
                some shavings :-) if all fails i may take you up on the offer. thanks.

                are there any other woods used in ageing?

                Peter

                > > any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont care
                > if
                > > they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap including
                > post.
              • homedistiller
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
                  Peter,

                  Don't worry, if you look for it and ask around you'll find oak, for
                  free and lots of it.

                  Oaks are quite late to get their leaves and indeed look for old
                  acorns underneath the tree.

                  I would advise against oak from old barrels as the oak taste has been
                  leached out.

                  wrote:
                  > Dirk- i dont know what an oak tree looks like! i went to the local
                  > park but couldnt find any acorns. it is spring here now so the
                  trees
                  > are bare.
                  >
                  > Moutwijn- thanks for the links. i usually buy from gert strand but
                  he
                  > doesnt actually sell chips just essences. the belgian company is
                  very
                  > good but postage is extorionate like gerts.
                  >
                  > Brandon- thanks for the offer! somebody told me to find a timber
                  > mill. my neighbour says her friend has a jameson whiskey barrel in
                  > her garden as a flower pot. i have spotted several barrels in the
                  > local pub's beer garden, i may have to sneak a wood plane in and
                  get
                  > some shavings :-) if all fails i may take you up on the offer.
                  thanks.

                  > are there any other woods used in ageing?
                  >
                  > Peter
                  >

                  > > > any europeans know where to get cheap oak chips online? dont
                  care
                  > > if
                  > > > they are from outside europe as long as they are cheap
                  including
                  > > post.
                • popwahtosh
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 18, 2004
                    Last week my wife purchased a used wine barrel from a ranch supply
                    for 20 dollars and the guy cut it in half for free. Since she was
                    using it for flower planters I had to cut holes in the bottom with a
                    powered ship auger for drainage. When I was finished I had about 4
                    handfulls of very aromatic chips. As time goes buy we will buy
                    several more for that purpose. Since I have 5 different sizes of
                    augers, I will cut varius sizes next time and store them in jars. I
                    will also soak some over night and toss them in the BBQ next time
                    we grill steaks.

                    Can't wait 'till my still is finished.

                    Pop
                  • foutzdj
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 21, 2005
                      Hey, I'm getting ready to put my newly distilled rum on toasted oak. I
                      have some used oak chips that were in rum from the last time. Does
                      anyone reuse these? Does it make it better or worse? What ratio do you
                      use from new to used? Thanks
                      Dan
                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 21, 2005
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

                        > Hey, I'm getting ready to put my newly distilled rum on toasted
                        oak. Does anyone reuse these? Does it make it better or worse? What
                        ratio do you use from new to used? Thanks Dan

                        I've had no problems reusing chips a couple of times. Just remember
                        that every variable you can think of affects the taste of the aged
                        product (spirit abv, time&temp of oak toasting, # times reused, heat
                        cycles, agitation, etc) - so keep good notes if you want to duplicate
                        the taste, and do a taste test one a week or so.

                        Check out the new distillers group / files / oak juice. That shows
                        how somebody showed me how to do it.