Re: [Distillers] Try This On

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2003
      smudge311065 wrote:
      Subject: [Distillers] Try This On

      For the distilling we do, an output purity of 96% will be produced when the condensed vapour is extracted at 78.1 degrees.

      Actually, an output purity of 96% will only ever be produced when the output temperature is 78.1 degrees

      I've read some discussion about whether purity is the result of temperature or temperature is the result of purity. Neither argument is correct. Purity and temperature are entirely separate physical characteristics, both of which can be measured independantly. One does not 'cause' the other.

      `Entirely separate', however, does not mean unrelated. In fact the relationship between temperature and purity is extremely well documented and extremely easy to demonstrate (as above), but this relationship is predictive, and not causative:

      The output purity of a still is not caused by the output temperature – it is the result of the complex reflux action in the column – but, the output purity can be predicted from the output temperature.

      Similarly, the output temperature is not caused by the output purity, but if the output purity is known then the output temperature can be calculated.

      If you grasp this concept (some won't) you will immediately understand why two still based on almost opposite principles can both produce excellent results.

      It is a lot more constructive than patching together other people's theories to `prove' that my bumble-bee still couldn't possibly fly.

      Can I set the output purity of my still by setting the output temperature? Damn right I can.

      I win.

      Smudge
      Sigh .... if it makes you happy to believe all that Smudge, and it gives you pleasure to think that you somehow 'win' by using convoluted reasoning, then fine. Please let me say it just once again, and on the forum this time instead of lengthy private emails, the temperature of the vapor anywhere in a column is the boiling point of the liquid that you get when you condense it.  That is all.  There are no 'almost opposite principles' involved in this simple fact.

      Let me also reiterate that your 'bumble bee' is simply a pot still - and a very nice pot still - that you regulate by controlling the input power.  Of course it works.  Nobody ever said it won't work. Whiskey distillers have been doing that for centuries.  All that has been offered to you is a way of improving its performance in terms of output rate should you choose to follow that advice.  Your choice.

      Mike N