Plastic Still

  • Greg Denehy
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 30, 2003
      Hi there,
      You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
      Here are some preliminary pics.

      It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
      It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+

      If you are interested in more details, email me...

      Greg

      **********************
      Veni Vedi Velcro
      I came. I saw. I got stuck.
      **********************
    • Jake Witt
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003
        hey there,
        i have to say that i havent been reading your thread on this plastic still,
        my email account has been bouncing emails.
        nevertheless i am very interested in this plastic still and would be very
        grateful if you were to send me some pics or specifications on it

        thanks in advance

        Jake

        >From: "Greg Denehy" <greg@...>
        >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>, <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [Distillers] Plastic Still
        >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:30:53 +1000
        >
        >Hi there,
        >You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
        >Here are some preliminary pics.
        >
        >It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
        >It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
        >
        >If you are interested in more details, email me...
        >
        >Greg
        >
        >**********************
        > Veni Vedi Velcro
        > I came. I saw. I got stuck.
        >**********************
        >

        ><< winmail.dat >>

        Hotmail now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
        http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_mobile.asp
      • Johan
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003
          Me too!

          I would like to know what material was the pipes made of
          What did you seal the joints with?
          How many times have you run it, have you noticed any effects on the pipes?
          You use a copper spiral as a cooler I suppose?
          What did you use to connect to column to the fermenting vessel?

          i have to say that i havent been reading your thread on this plastic still,
          my email account has been bouncing emails.
          nevertheless i am very interested in this plastic still and would be very
          grateful if you were to send me some pics or specifications on it

          thanks in advance

          Jake

          >From: "Greg Denehy" <greg@...>
          >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>, <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [Distillers] Plastic Still
          >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:30:53 +1000
          >
          >Hi there,
          >You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
          >Here are some preliminary pics.
          >
          >It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
          >It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
          >
          >If you are interested in more details, email me...
          >
          >Greg
          >
          >**********************
          > Veni Vedi Velcro
          > I came. I saw. I got stuck.
          >**********************
          >

          ><< winmail.dat >>

        • Greg Denehy
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

            Pipes are polyproplene.

            Joints are threaded, sealed with Teflon tape.

            I have run it about 20 times.  No effect on pipes at all.  No softening, no tastes.

            I just use a straight piece of copper for cooling, works fine…

            I use a rubber bung with a hole drilled in it to connect to fermenter.

            It handles 800W.

            Makes 95%+

            Will produce at about 5 drips per second for most of the run.  Will have to measure the volume of this.

            Greg

            i have to say that i havent been reading your thread on this plastic still,
            my email account has been bouncing emails.
            nevertheless i am very interested in this plastic still and would be very
            grateful if you were to send me some pics or specifications on it

            thanks in advance

            Jake

            >From: "Greg Denehy" <greg@...>
            >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>, <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [Distillers] Plastic Still
            >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:30:53 +1000
            >
            >Hi there,
            >You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
            >Here are some preliminary pics.
            >
            >It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
            >It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
            >
            >If you are interested in more details, email me...
            >
            >Greg
            >
            >**********************
            >   Veni    Vedi    Velcro
            >   I came.  I saw.  I got stuck.
            >**********************
            >

            ><< winmail.dat >>

          • Johan
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

              Nice!

              I bought plastic pipes today 32 mm and one of these:

              http://www.biltema.se/products/product.asp?iItemId=13096

              The largest model fits perfectly together with 32 mm pipe.

              I’m going to use that with a evaporation still (amazing still) in a 25 litre version.

              A swede have had success with a similar setup.

              Then I’ll try a normal still in plastic.

              Johan

              i have to say that i havent been reading your thread on this plastic still,
              my email account has been bouncing emails.
              nevertheless i am very interested in this plastic still and would be very
              grateful if you were to send me some pics or specifications on it

              thanks in advance

              Jake

              >From: "Greg Denehy" <greg@...>
              >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>, <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [Distillers] Plastic Still
              >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:30:53 +1000
              >
              >Hi there,
              >You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
              >Here are some preliminary pics.
              >
              >It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
              >It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
              >
              >If you are interested in more details, email me...
              >
              >Greg
              >
              >**********************
              >   Veni    Vedi    Velcro
              >   I came.  I saw.  I got stuck.
              >**********************
              >

              ><< winmail.dat >>

            • Greg Denehy
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

                What type of plastic are your pipes.  What are they normally used for?

                What is that thing that you sent me a link for?

                Are you interested in the experimentation, or are you just looking to build a good still that works?  If so, I can save you MUCH money and experimentation.

                Let me know what you are up to. Sounds interesting!

                Greg

                i have to say that i havent been reading your thread on this plastic still,
                my email account has been bouncing emails.
                nevertheless i am very interested in this plastic still and would be very
                grateful if you were to send me some pics or specifications on it

                thanks in advance

                Jake

                >From: "Greg Denehy" <greg@...>
                >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>, <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [Distillers] Plastic Still
                >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:30:53 +1000
                >
                >Hi there,
                >You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
                >Here are some preliminary pics.
                >
                >It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
                >It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
                >
                >If you are interested in more details, email me...
                >
                >Greg
                >
                >**********************
                >   Veni    Vedi    Velcro
                >   I came.  I saw.  I got stuck.
                >**********************
                >

                ><< winmail.dat >>

              • Johan
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

                  It is just an experiment but if it works well I’ll make a pdf how to build one. If pro-pak works fine I want instructions how to build a low cost effective still.

                  It is PP plastic pipes, normally used under bathtubs and washing machines.

                  About the link, I have no idea what that is called in English, but it is a “connect-through-table” thing, found at the boat department.

                  I’m a little bit worried about the softeners used in plastic pipes though. Warm 95 % vapour is aggressive.

                  Johan

                  What type of plastic are your pipes.  What are they normally used for?

                  What is that thing that you sent me a link for?

                  Are you interested in the experimentation, or are you just looking to build a good still that works?  If so, I can save you MUCH money and experimentation.

                  Let me know what you are up to. Sounds interesting!

                  Greg

                  i have to say that i havent been reading your thread on this plastic still,
                  my email account has been bouncing emails.
                  nevertheless i am very interested in this plastic still and would be very
                  grateful if you were to send me some pics or specifications on it

                  thanks in advance

                  Jake

                  >From: "Greg Denehy" <greg@...>
                  >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>, <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [Distillers] Plastic Still
                  >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:30:53 +1000
                  >
                  >Hi there,
                  >You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
                  >Here are some preliminary pics.
                  >
                  >It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
                  >It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
                  >
                  >If you are interested in more details, email me...
                  >
                  >Greg
                  >
                  >**********************
                  >   Veni    Vedi    Velcro
                  >   I came.  I saw.  I got stuck.
                  >**********************
                  >

                  ><< winmail.dat >>

                • Greg Denehy
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

                    What is pro pak?

                    I have not seen 32mm PP.  I have only seen PVC, which is crap.

                    Greg

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003
                      Polypropolene is a food grade plastic. Most pipes are PVC which is
                      not suitable for alcohol. Where does one get polyproplene pipes?
                      Wal
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Denehy" <greg@t...> wrote:
                      > Pipes are polyproplene.
                      >
                      > Joints are threaded, sealed with Teflon tape.
                      >
                      > I have run it about 20 times. No effect on pipes at all. No
                      softening,
                      > no tastes.
                      >
                      > I just use a straight piece of copper for cooling, works fine…
                      >
                      > I use a rubber bung with a hole drilled in it to connect to
                      fermenter.

                      > It handles 800W.
                      >
                      > Makes 95%+
                      >
                      > Will produce at about 5 drips per second for most of the run. Will
                      have
                      > to measure the volume of this.
                      >

                      > Greg

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
                      05

                      041694:HM/A=1513703/R=0/*http:/www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_06
                      F/
                      > g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>
                      >

                      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                      M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egrou
                      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1513703/rand=874220512>
                      >

                      > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
                      > distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

                    • Greg Denehy
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

                        They are sold as irrigation and water pipes.  Black polypipe is a common name.  Easy to get at harware or garden places.

                        Greg

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003
                          Irrigation pipes are usually PVC. I suspect polypipe is 'poly vinyl
                          chloride! That's why they are cheap.
                          Wal
                          ---
                          In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Denehy" <greg@t...> wrote:
                          > They are sold as irrigation and water pipes. Black polypipe is a
                          common
                          > name. Easy to get at harware or garden places.
                          >

                          > Greg

                          041694:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http:/www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02
                          F/

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

                            Pro-Pak is a column packing that have impressive data. But we’ll see how it will perform in practise.

                            Do a search in this forum and you’ll find more.

                            Different countries have different pipes I presume.

                            Johan

                            What is pro pak?

                            I have not seen 32mm PP.  I have only seen PVC, which is crap.

                            Greg

                            i have to say that i havent been reading your thread on this plastic still,
                            my email account has been bouncing emails.
                            nevertheless i am very interested in this plastic still and would be very
                            grateful if you were to send me some pics or specifications on it

                            thanks in advance

                            Jake

                            >From: "Greg Denehy" <greg@...>
                            >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>, <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: [Distillers] Plastic Still
                            >Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:30:53 +1000
                            >
                            >Hi there,
                            >You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
                            >Here are some preliminary pics.
                            >
                            >It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
                            >It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
                            >
                            >If you are interested in more details, email me...
                            >
                            >Greg
                            >
                            >**********************
                            >   Veni    Vedi    Velcro
                            >   I came.  I saw.  I got stuck.
                            >**********************
                            >

                            ><< winmail.dat >>

                          • moutwijn
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003
                              I think the pipes are made out of polyethylene (PE) or high density
                              polyethylene (HDPE).
                              This is a material that is widely used in pails, jerrycans etc. and
                              it is very suitable for food stuffs.
                              You should be aware that HDPE is becoming very flexible at 70°C.

                              greetings

                              Moutwijn

                            • BOKAKOB
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

                                Natural polypropelene is translucent whitish material. Black is the pigment what is added in the mix. Other things may be added as well. Such things as plastisizers, UV-ray protection additives, etc. etc. may be not so good for your health in the long run.

                                 Greg Denehy <greg@...> wrote:

                                They are sold as irrigation and water pipes.  Black polypipe is a common name.  Easy to get at harware or garden places.

                                Greg

                                I can be wrong I must say
                                Cheers, Alex...

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                              • roger plante
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 31, 2003

                                  Hi. Would like more imformation about your Polyproplene still. Thanks Roger

                                • Harley Daschund
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                                    For the second time...me too...:>)

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                                      Re: Cost
                                      I just bought 1500mm of 50mm diam. copper ($AU47), 1500mm of 13mm
                                      diam tube ($AU7), a T connector, 2 reducers, insulation for about
                                      $AU100. I intend to use an epoxy resin to seal the sections. Where is
                                      the cost advantage in 'polypipe' over copper?
                                      Wal
                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Denehy" <greg@t...> wrote:
                                      > Hi there,
                                      > You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
                                      > Here are some preliminary pics.
                                      >
                                      > It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
                                      > It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
                                      >
                                      > If you are interested in more details, email me...
                                      >
                                      > Greg
                                      >
                                      > **********************
                                      > Veni Vedi Velcro
                                      > I came. I saw. I got stuck.
                                      > **********************
                                    • BOKAKOB
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003

                                        Please do not use epoxy. Some epoxies soften during high temp operations. Besides epoxy is a slow acting toxin. Sounds good: "Epoxy-Toxin"

                                         waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:

                                        Re: Cost
                                        I just bought 1500mm of 50mm diam. copper ($AU47), 1500mm of 13mm
                                        diam tube ($AU7), a T connector, 2 reducers, insulation for about
                                        $AU100. I intend to use an epoxy resin to seal the sections. Where is
                                        the cost advantage in 'polypipe' over copper?
                                        Wal
                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Denehy" <greg@t...> wrote:
                                        > Hi there,
                                        > You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
                                        > Here are some preliminary pics.
                                        >
                                        > It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
                                        > It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
                                        >
                                        > If you are interested in more details, email me...
                                        >
                                        > Greg

                                        I can be wrong I must say
                                        Cheers, Alex...

                                        Do you Yahoo!?

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                                          There are epoxies formulated for metal. Even 'Araldite' can be used.
                                          Wal

                                          > Please do not use epoxy. Some epoxies soften during high temp
                                          operations. Besides epoxy is a slow acting toxin. Sounds good: "Epoxy-
                                          Toxin"
                                          > waljaco <waljaco@h...> wrote: Re: Cost
                                          > I just bought 1500mm of 50mm diam. copper ($AU47), 1500mm of 13mm
                                          > diam tube ($AU7), a T connector, 2 reducers, insulation for about
                                          > $AU100. I intend to use an epoxy resin to seal the sections. Where
                                          is
                                          > the cost advantage in 'polypipe' over copper?
                                          > Wal
                                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Denehy" <greg@t...> wrote:
                                          > > Hi there,
                                          > > You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
                                          > > Here are some preliminary pics.
                                          > >
                                          > > It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
                                          > > It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
                                          > >
                                          > > If you are interested in more details, email me...
                                          > >
                                          > > Greg

                                          Service.

                                          > I can be wrong I must say
                                          > Cheers, Alex...

                                        • Greg Denehy
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 7, 2003

                                            Just checking that you got the details for my plastic still.

                                            You can get them at http://www.morningtonweb.com/The miraculous polypipe still.pdf

                                            Let me know what you think.

                                            Greg

                                            i have to say that i havent been reading your thread on this plastic still,
                                            my email account has been bouncing emails.
                                            nevertheless i am very interested in this plastic still and would be very
                                            grateful if you were to send me some pics or specifications on it

                                            thanks in advance

                                            Jake

                                            >From: "Greg Denehy" <greg@...>
                                            >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>, <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                                            >Subject: [Distillers] Plastic Still
                                            >Date:
                                            Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:30:53 +1000

                                            >Hi there,
                                            >You may have been watching threads about my plastic still.
                                            >Here are some preliminary pics.
                                            >
                                            >It will cost about $AUS100 + boiler + thermometer to make or buy.
                                            >It is portable, simple and produces rock solid performance at 95%+
                                            >
                                            >If you are interested in more details, email me...
                                            >
                                            >Greg

                                            >   Veni    Vedi    Velcro
                                            >   I came.  I saw.  I got stuck.
                                            >

                                            ><< winmail.dat >>