Re: Testing for Methanol?

  • homedistiller
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2003
      See Tony Ackland's site:
      http://www.homedistiller.org/methanol.htm

      What he says: "A simple rule of thumb for this is to throw away the
      first 50 mL (reflux still) you collect (per 20 L mash used), or
      100-200 mL from a pot still."

      Methanol has a lower boiling point than ethanol and will come out
      first when the vapours start to condense. A reflux still "separates"
      better than a pot still, that's why you should throw away more
      distillate with a potstill.

      Dirk