latest run, coppertube

  • Johan
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 27, 2003

      After insulating the deformed tube I got 95 % from 3% mash

      I’m going the test it with some real mash tomorrow.

      Johan

    • peter_vcb
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 27, 2003
        Johan,
        you could have lots of pipes coming out of the pot so you could
        increase the power to get decent output levels. heres an idea i had a
        while back.
        20COLUMN.jpg

        1/2" copper pipe is much cheaper than 2" copper pipe so the same
        volume may be cheaper than using 2". you will need no packing either.
        1/2" fittings are cheaper too.
        what do Mike and Tony think about this still being able to get 95%
        with what is essentially just a lyne arm? seems like a "bumble bee"
        still :-)

        you mentioned floating the heater in the amazing still to stop leaks.
        it also has the advantage of only heating the top of the wash. this
        is more important for larger versions like my planned 35/40litre. the
        bottom of the wash barrel will stay fairly cool while the top is
        warm. i brew my washes like this and it does stay cool at the bottom
        if the heater is at the top. there will be less turbulence in the
        still since the wash is not fermenting so the bottom will be even
        cooler.

        Peter

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Johan" <mugg@h...> wrote:
        > After insulating the deformed tube I got 95 % from 3% mash
        >
        > I'm going the test it with some real mash tomorrow.
        >

        > Johan
      • Johan
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28, 2003

          I run it as a stripper now, collection rate 0,55 liter per hour, it is hard to reduce reflux more, I need a better valve for the water. Strength 91 % mash is about 11-12 %

          Uneven boiling. So with a slower pace and better boiling and some patience it should be possible to get pure liquor.

          But I’m not happy with it yet, I’ll test propak as packing with this when I get some. It will only need a deceliter of packing.

          Propak is self wetting, good for this thin diameter. And it got 94% free space.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28, 2003
            thats a great output Johan. you could but the pot in a vegetable oil
            bath on top of the hotplate to get more even boiling. what does it
            taste like? is it as good as what your reflux still makes? i take it
            its 550ml at 550watts. if you put a 4 columns on you would get more
            output than a relatively high powered still. you should consider
            getting a good power controller, its the best thing i ever got for my
            distilling setup

            Peter

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Johan" <mugg@h...> wrote:
            > I run it as a stripper now, collection rate 0,55 liter per hour, it
            is hard
            > to reduce reflux more, I need a better valve for the water.
            Strength 91 %
            > mash is about 11-12 %
            >
            > Uneven boiling. So with a slower pace and better boiling and some
            patience
            > it should be possible to get pure liquor.
            >
            > But I'm not happy with it yet, I'll test propak as packing with
            this when I
            > get some. It will only need a deceliter of packing.
            >
            > Propak is self wetting, good for this thin diameter. And it got 94%
            free
            > space.
            >

            > Johan

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2994396.4323964.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17
            050416
            > 94:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http:/ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>
            >

            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=245454.2994396.4323964.2848452/D=egroupmai
            > l/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=548682911>
            >

            > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
            > distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

          • Johan
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 28, 2003
              The taste is not pure but it doesn't smell much, I probably have to be a
              slow run for good taste, yes 550 ml/h with about 550W.
              I'm not going to use this still, it's just a test.
              It may work as a better alternative to a potstill, or a low capacity still
              that is easy to build. But I don't think more than one column is good idea,
              it is better to use a 1-2" column with scrubbers then. It is 1,5 meters high
              and scrubbers do a great job with that height.
              But there is one benefit. If you use expensive packing like heli-pak or
              pro-pak it can still be worth the money since you need so little packing.
              And speed is enough for most people anyway.

              Next test is a 1 meter still with one scrubber, or maybe a half scrubber :)

              Johan

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 28, 2003
                i ran my 2" column at a rate of about 600ml per hour so 550ml/hr is
                fine . if you made the column higher like 5 metres it will obviously
                taste better. with such thin copper a 5 meter column is feasible both
                price wise and structurally. i may give it a go. my airstill has a
                connection there already for a 1/2" copper tube.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Johan
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 28, 2003
                  Yes, the tube I bought is 14 euro per 5 meter.
                  Already insulated tube; 5 euro per meter.
                  Maybe a spiral will do as well.

                • Paul Ihrig
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 31, 2003
                    ok, i heard that you will get a better/faster even boil if you put raching rings & marbles in your boiler?
                    wouldn't this be rather noisy?
                    any one do this?
                    thanks
                    -paul
                  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 31, 2003
                      >i heard that you will get a better/faster even boil if you put raching rings & marbles in your boiler?
                      wouldn't this be rather noisy?

                      "boiling chips" can help if you are heating your boiler over an external heat source & the inside of you boiler is nice & smooth. They must be rough on their surface though. The idea is that they provide additional "nucleation" sites for the bubbles to form on. This way you a lot of nice small bubbles, giving a steady rolling boil, rather than a sporadic big-bubble formation. If you dont use them, and the inside surface doesnt provide many nucleation points, then the liquid essentially becomes super-heated before there is sufficent energy for the bubbles to form.

                      I can see the difference quick markedly when using my small glass coffee-pot still on the stove top. If i just put liquid in there, the boiling is very violent and surging. Having some old broken marbles in there helps it smooth out heaps. But yes, quite noisy.

                      Tony
                    • Paul Ihrig
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 31, 2003
                        ok..
                        so would this have any affect on output
                        under same same circumstances?

                        same wash, heat, time...
                        just shy of 2 pints without any thing in the boiler?
                      • tipringwaterpipe
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1, 2003

                          Maybe if you used a ss pot scrubber you would get the same effect without the noise?

                          Down-the-hatch

                          tip

                           Paul Ihrig <pihrig@...> wrote:

                          ok, i heard that you will get a better/faster even boil if you put raching rings & marbles in your boiler?
                          wouldn't this be rather noisy?
                          any one do this?
                          thanks
                          -paul

                          Do you Yahoo!?

                        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1, 2003
                            It shouldn't really - you're still getting the same amount of heat into the pot, so giving the same amount of vapour flow etc.  Just a lot smoother.  The difference would occur only if the big surges in boiling are resulting in surges in the vapour flow up the column, disrupting it a bit (shouldnt really).  In my wee essence still its a problem because of the small amount of headroom, the surges result in the liquid being pushed up into the offtake pipe (column).  Had to redistill my some gin essence on Sat because this occured, resulting in a whole lot of yellow gunk & bits of crushed berries being pushed over into the clear essence.

                            Tony
                            just shy of 2 pints without any thing in the boiler?