Re: [Distillers] What type of termometer?

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2000
      Rob,
             If you are using a glass thermometer it should be marked in 1 degree increments. The same for bi-metalic thermometers. What is far more important is the accuracy of the instrument ie. what it reads is what the actual temperature should be. The more accurate the reading the easier it is to control the heat in the boiler because after all it is this that determines how much vaporisation is occuring and hence your reflux, total reflux, takeoff rate etc. That said it is easier to get round inaccurancies if you know what the discrepancies are but please note this takes experience and knowing what is happening at all times. You also need to have or have access to something that you know is accurate and reliable to check it against from time to time.
      I personally prefer to use mercury thermometers (although it is far riskier as you generally have to throw out the batch if you break one in place) over spirit ones as they are generally far more accurate and tend to give reliable results.
      Using 2 thermometers as you propose will give you a lot more accuracy.
      Using sufficient packing and insulation on your column also helps tremendously.
      B.r., David
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2000
        Rob,

        You may find that they are too slow, and innaccurate. You want to be able
        to pick the eye's out of the temperature, eg get down to like +/- 0.1 or
        0.2 of a degree if you really can. Some hobby-electronics shops sell
        little digital thermometers for about NZ$22 (US$10) which are reasonable
        for this.

        Tony