RE: [Distillers] Maximum sugar content

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2000
      It's my understanding that the sugar turns to alcohol; therefore I would not use so much sugar that the process can't complete, I.e. all the sugar convert to alcohol.  Sugar left in your mash will burn before it cooks off.  If I'm wrong here somebody HELP!  Just a guesstimate on my part :)

      Deb Brewer

      witchwriter@...

      ICQ #13688671

      .:*W*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*C*:._.:*H*:._.:*W*:._.:*R*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*E*:._.:*R*:.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2000
        Rob,

        The highest sugar content that most normal yeasts can handle is about 0.25
        kg/L. The turbos can go up to about 0.3 kg/L (eg 5 & 6 kg per 20L
        respectively). These should be starting SG's of 1.07 & 1.08. If you have
        more sugar than that present, the yeast wont be able to handle it, and
        effectively "burst" - the concentration is too strong, and it ruptures the
        cell's membranes. Like pouring salt on a slug. Deb's point too is good -
        any unused sugar present will make the mash more prone to boing over when
        distilling, and you'll have a sweet sticky mess. There's no point using
        more sugar than whats needed.

        Tony
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller

        I have a turbostyle yeast which is supposed to be good up to 18per cent
        ethonol. A sugar solution should ferment down to sg. 1.000. If you
        wanted to get the full 18 per cent is there any reason that you wouldn't
        just pour enough sugar to get it up to the full sg of 1.125 to 1.300? Is
        there some other limiting factor, assuming that you have sufficent
        nutrients to support the yeast?

        Thanks in advance for any help, rob
      • Pete Sayers
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2000
          Rob, Pete from Brewers Barn. Yeast has a few interesting properties, one of which is it will continue to produce alcohol until it kills itself. Various yeasts have been isolated for their "Alcohol Resistance" By adding too much sugar you risk, as Tony said , wash boil over or browning of the wash and resultant alcohol by the burning of unused sugar against the elements.Have fun
          Pete