9823Re: Cut question

  • peter_vcb
    Mar 12, 2003
      some more advantages.
      1. you can save up many batches and dedicate a whole day to run the
      whole lot properly in a reflux still.
      if you collect 4x25 litre batches you will only have to collect a bit
      more heads and tails than if you ran just a single 25litre wash. but
      you collect much more of the middle "drinkable" cut. also if you save
      up the batches you probably wont need to dilute it back down to
      prevent elment burn out.
      2. you dont need much care and attention when doing stripping runs. i
      leave the still running and check it every 15mins or so. i collect
      everything.
      3. if you dont have time for a reflux run you can strip a wash. this
      is useful if you dont want an uncleared wash hanging about for a
      month or so waiting to be contaminated.
      4. you dont have to worry about foaming or nasty smells getting into
      your prized reflux column. since the stripped wash is relatively pure
      you wont have to clean the column as often/carefully. i leave my
      stripped wash sitting on carbon.
      5. for me, electricity is cheaper than finings

      Peter

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic