9791Re: alginate

    Mar 11, 2003
      I think the fining ingredient 'alginate' is derived from seaweed
      (kelp etc). It is also known as 'Irish Moss' and 'Agar'. 'Gelatine'
      is a fining alternative to it - more readily available in the
      supermarkets.
      Wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zoran Vujcic" <zvujcic@v...>
      wrote:
      > Have anyone idea where to by alginate 25 kg? I am in Yugoslavia
      (now Serbia and Montenegro). Can someone give me useful address? I
      need it for immobilization of yeast in brewing.
      > Zoran

      Just
      > to make up a number off the top of my head for example purposes.--

      > Then look that hybrid and variety number up on the seed company's
      > webpage. http://www.dekalb.com is the url for Dekalb's
      webpage.
      > Different hybrids and varietys have different characteristics.
      Some
      > varieties are better suited for vegetable oil production and
      others
      > for High Fructose Corn Syrup. Some are better for making
      cornstarch.
      > ect ect ect
      >
      > It could be that the corn variety is not the best suited for
      ethanol
      > production.
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep" <nanosleep@y...>
      wrote:
      > > I have access to tons (literally) of corn straight from
      > > the field. I can get up to about hundred pounds free or
      > > as much as I can haul for next to nothing cost. I also
      > > have access to a large grist mill (26 inch stones) for
      > > only the cost of the gasoline to run it. I've done lots
      > > of batches with sugar, molasses, honey, grapes, fruit, etc.
      > > My problem is I've done two test batches with the corn
      > > and they both have flopped. The first batch was 90% corn
      > > and 10% barley malt. I was very careful during the mash
      > > to maintain the proper temps. The batch had very little
      > > yield (1 or 2%), and it was not for the lack of enough
      > > corn. The second batch I used corn and a triple dose
      > > of packaged enzymes bought at the local homebrewer store.
      > > This batch registered an SG that would produce 4%. Not
      > > an unreasonable value for the amount of grain in this batch.
      > > However the batch is stuck. I'm using the same nutrient
      > > and amount that I use in a sugar wash. I'm also using the
      > > same yeast and the same general process that has worked
      > > quite well in the past. I've done one corn and sugar
      > > batch that did well, but I doubt I extracted much from
      > > the corn other than a little flavor.
      > >
      > > I'd like a little bit of advice from someone who has experience
      > > with all grain batches. I want to make a tradtional corn
      > > whiskey (no sugar), and take advantage of the cheaply available
      > > material. So far I'm not having much luck.
      > > How does PH affect the mash efficiency? How important is it
      > > to measure/adjust the PH? In my mashes I didn't have any
      > > method for measuring the PH and I did nothing to adjust it.
      > > How small does the corn need to be gristed? My first batch
      > > had the corn just cracked into two or three pieces. My second
      > > batch had the corn ground into a fine meal. I don't know
      > > exactly what enzymes are contained in my packaged enzymes.
      > > Is there a specific packaged enzyme that works well with corn?
      > > Where can I buy this? How does the age of the barley effect
      > > the mash efficiency? I purchased the barley malt (whole grain)
      > > from the homebrew store. I don't know how long it sat on
      > > their shelf, but it sat on mine about a month. I cracked
      > > the malt and mashed on the same day.
      > >
      > > This corn has absolutly no pesticides or herbicides.
      > >
      > > -A
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >

      > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to distillers-
      unsubscribe@onelist.com

      Service.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic