9509Re: Reflux

  • beakertest <antaresconsulting@bigpond.co
    Feb 27, 2003
      Great guys - been doing some homework since asking the question and
      you are right!

      Tony, like you, I want high purity, given the greater efficiency with
      added height of about 1.5m, and a slightly wider diameter (waljac and
      michael, I think, are corect here too!) I am working with a friend to
      construct a column from scratch (might as well keep the boiler and
      element I have). Will be taking the lessons learnt from all the
      experiences compiled at homedistiller.org and putting them to good
      use. Will let you know how I go in the next weeks, am putting a
      design together at the moment. Meanwhile I will keep double and
      triple distilling.... at least my russian friends with a long family
      history of brewing and distilling are appreciative of the product so
      far! (makes me feel good even if there isn't much left over for me).

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco <waljaco@h...>"
      <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > I found the original SS column diameter of 1inch or 25mm too narrow
      > and it caused flooding - increase to preferably 2inches or 50mmm
      > use the exg section as your reflux and distillate condensers.
      > Wal
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
      > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
      > > Beaker,
      > >
      > > > I plan
      > > > to take my still spirits reflux and increase the column height
      > > > 500mm by cutting the base off and adding the increased height
      > it.
      > > > I plan to use s/s scrubbers as packing but am wondering if I am
      > going
      > > > to have enough temperature control (i.e. fractionating capacity
      > over
      > > > the column height) without adding a water jacket or cooling of
      > some
      > > > sort.
      > >
      > > What sort of purity are you after ? If going for the 95%+ mark,
      > you may want to look more towards 1.2- 1.5m column height.
      > >
      > > The SSRS will produce a limited amount of reflux for you
      > A taller column will be more effective in utilising this small
      > amount. Only if its not enough (eg if you stick to 500mm) might
      > need to increase the cooling up there.
      > >
      > > Tony
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic