8846SV: SV: [Distillers] Re: Vacuum in glass bottles

  • Johan
    Feb 1, 2003
      It is a normal still but the air in the still is removed with an air
      ejector or vacuum pump.
      When the pressure is low, alcohol and water will boil at a lower
      temperature (room temperature if the pressure is low enough) The
      advantage is that the quality should be slightly better and warm water
      is enough to make the mash boil.
      The disadvantage is that it is more difficult to cool down the vapor
      (since it is cooler) and the still needs to be 100% airtight. The vapor
      rush through the still faster and that's bad.
      Personally I see it as a fun experiment, and I'm curious about the
      quality. Theory is one thing, but practice another, some have had good
      experience with vacuum so personally I think it's worth giving a try.
      Using two bottles, with a little heat on the one containing mash will be
      a simple but maybe good enough still. For some reason it is fun to watch
      the mash boil in room temperature :)

      Johan

      hey everyone. theres been alot of talk about vacume stills here lately
      but i
      have no idea what one is because i just recently heard of them in this
      group. could somone plz explain it to me so i can understand what im
      readin
      a bit more?
      -thanks for reading
      -paul